Community discussions

sterod
just joined
Topic Author

Alcatel GPON ONT Issue

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:23 am

Hello, I am attempting to use an Alcatel G-010S-P ONT SFP GPON on my CRS328-24P-4S+ switch. This will be used to connect to a Bell Canada FTTH service. The issue I am seeing is that I can see my packets being sent but nothing is being received. Looking at the status of the SFP module something that strikes me as odd is the wavelength. This should be 1310nm or 1490nm from my understanding yet it is listing 33685.00nm.

I am wondering if this could simply be a defective module or if there may be something else wrong. I know that the FTTH service is working because when I use the provided Alcatel G-440G-A ONT, which unfortunately has a soldered down built in GPON, it is working.

This odd wavelength appears as soon as the module is inserted regardless of whether or not the fiber strand is physically connected.
Last edited by sterod on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

file
just joined

Re: Alcatel GPON ONT Issue

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:06 pm

While I can't speak on the wavelength have you done the required stuff for the Bell service itself? That is: Is the SFP provisioned for your account. Did you configure VLAN 35 and PPPoE service?

sterod
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Yes I did request that Bell reconfigure the account to SFP and I did set up a VLAN 35 with a pppoe client running on it. I don't know whether or not Bell has actually made the change to SFP yet and that's entirely possible why I'm not receiving any packets back but my main concern is this wavelength I don't know if this is a normal number or if this is the source of my problems.

file
just joined

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:05 am

Were you able to get to the bottom of this and uncover what was preventing it from working?

sterod
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 am

Yes, it was either a bad SFP, or an incompatible one. I ordered a variant of the same Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) SFP, with model O-010S-P which from what I could tell was just a model that had higher operating temperature limits. As soon as I installed this module, the link came up immediately when forced to 1Gbps with auto-negotiation disabled. Strangely, although the service is working, RouterOS still reports the wavelength as 33685.00nm when I know for a fact that GPON operates at 1490nm for download traffic and 1310 for upstream traffic. So, I don't know if this is just a bug in the driver or something else, but, it works.

Lastly, in regards to the actual PPPoE connection, as soon as I provided Bell with the serial number of the new SFP GPON (which MUST start with ALCLFABxxxxx for Bell Canada Business FTTH Accounts) traffic immediately started flowing both ways.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

file
just joined

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 pm

That's very interesting. I was seeing the same behavior with an Intel dual SFP+ card. Link would come up, packets would seemingly be sent, but no response. I wonder if the G variant is really really picky.