Community discussions

MikroTik App

OlyTel
just joined
Topic Author

HAP AC2 Availability in the US

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Is there a longer than expected delay for the HAP AC2 US version?

Checking 4 resellers/distributors, they have been backordered for a month, and one of them says its still backordered for another 6 weeks. One of them has 900 of them backordered.

Whats up with the supply?

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC2 Availability in the US

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 am

ISP Supplies is a reputable dealer and they have 514 in stock.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:58 pm

some body have info about International Version Availability?

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Do you mean international version in the US? That would kind of defy whole idea of US version which follows US legislation.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 am

Do you mean international version in the US? That would kind of defy whole idea of US version which follows US legislation.
i am in South America, is easy for us to Buy equipment in US and get it shipped to our nation

almost any international version is available on US

but i cant find Stock of hAP Ac2 International version

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:50 am

It's because US can't sell this version. They aren't allowed to. You can't buy it from the US and that's it.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 pm

I notice even EuroDK no longer has hAP AC2 in stock. Is there some kind of problem with the board that halted production?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Most definitely not. But they are very popular devices.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 am

They will be even more popular with POE out on ether5 ;)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:18 am

They will be even more popular with POE out on ether5 ;)
another of the mikrotik mysteries

maybe is some cost related thing, adding poe out on a gigabit device increases costs

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:04 am

Sorry for the offtopic but I find it hard to not explain it:
It is not really mystery. From business point of view, you can't produce ideal device because if you do, you would dig grave for other devices in your range and you would cut-off possible improvements in future. Due to this, it is not surprising that hAP ac^2 is artificially crippled/limited by missing POE-Out, beeper, microSD and temp/volt monitor despite the fact that many cheaper routerboards have these.

It is already popular device (I also got big bunch of them as it simplifies my inventory management) but if you add one or more mentioned features, people would stop buying other products. For example:
- if you add poe-out, it would steal purchasers of RB951Ui/RB952Ui. Currently, there are still people who buy these despite it lacks 1G ports, simply because it has 5 ports, poe-out, wifi and usb at the same time.
- if you add temp/volt monitor or microSD slot, it would steal purchasers of RB750 range as hAP ac2 is better in every single way except of this monitoring ability which is big deal for industrial applications.

Now you might think "why would it matter if people buy hEX or hAP?". Well, it matters, because once someone buys hEX, he might later find he needs wifi and he may buy some cAP/wAP/hAP. Same goes with RB951/RB952 - They are great but once you saturate 100Mbit interface, you need replacement. Not because device is bad. Simply because it is not enough. And unless you have bad experience with it, you will probably go to Mikrotik again. Congrants... Mikrotik just sold another device.

I don't consider such approach as something bad. It is simply necessity to keep company in business and I find it much better alternative than planned obsolescence which was adopted by few other manufacturers.
Last edited by vecernik87 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 am

Sorry for the offtopic but I find it hard to not explain it:
It is not really mystery. From business point of view, you can't produce ideal device because if you do, you would dig grave for other devices in your range and you would cut-off possible improvements in future. Due to this, it is not surprising that hAP ac^2 is artificially crippled/limited by missing POE-Out, beeper, microSD and temp/volt monitor despite the fact that some cheaper devices have these.

It is already popular device (I also got big bunch of them as it simplifies my inventory management) but if you add one or more mentioned features, people would stop buying other products. For example:
- if you add poe-out, it would steal purchasers of RB951Ui/RB952Ui. Currently, there are still people who buy these despite it lacks 1G ports, simply because it has 5 ports, poe-out, wifi and usb at the same time.
- if you add temp/volt monitor or microSD slot, it would steal purchasers of RB750 range as hAP ac2 is better in every single way except of this monitoring ability which is big deal for industrial applications.

Now you might think "why would it matter if people buy hEX or hAP?". Well, it matters, because once someone buys hEX, he might later find he needs wifi and he may buy some cAP/wAP/hAP. Same goes with RB951/RB952 - They are great but once you saturate 100Mbit interface, you need replacement. Not because device is bad. Simply because it is not enough. And unless you have bad experience with it, you will probably to to Mikrotik again. Congrants... Mikrotik just sold another device.

I don't consider such approach as something bad. It is simply necessity to keep company in business and I find it much better alternative than planned obsolescence which was adopted by few other manufacturers.

good point