Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lyudmil
just joined
Topic Author

GPON ONU module to replace ISP GPON router

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 pm

I need to replace a GPON router (Huawai HG8245H) my ISP gave me. I want to continue using my rb951g-2hnd ethernet router (rock-solid).
I am looking at the Mikrotik GPON ONU module with a hope that I can get rid of the Huawai altogether.
In the specs for the GPON ONU module https://mikrotik.com/product/SFPONU#fnd ... ifications, I see it says all SFP products, all Router OS versions, plug and play. Great! So I should be able to use it in the RB260GS switch I plan to buy https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GS. So far so good. However, the tricky part is that "all configuration will be done on the ISP side". Long story short, the ISP tech support is quite inadequate. If I get them to do anything, I will have to tell them precisely what to do.

I am wondering what would that configuration on the ISP side include? ONU ID and a password?

In the Huawai specs I see this for the GPON interface:
• Class B+
• Receiver sensitivity: -27dBm
• Wavelengths: US 1310nm, DS 1490nm
• WBF
• Flexible mapping between GEM Port and TCONT
• GPON: consistent with the SN or password
authentication defined in G.984.3
• Bi-directional FEC
• SR-DBA and NSR-DBA

I am not sure if the physical connectors are compatible and if the Mikrotik GPON ONU module will autodetect the wavelengths.
Thanks!

RusConSPb

Re: GPON ONU module to replace ISP GPON router

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi,

most ISP use autoprovision for EPON and GPON equipment, so it should be supported by end user devices (in most cases same brand as ISP equipment). Can you ask your ISP which model of GPON OLT (optical line terminal) they use? Are they ready to do manual setting for you instead of autoprovision?

mohands
just joined

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:02 pm

I have the same issue, I have purchased the HAP AC and GPON ONU module I have same your story and everything is done by my ISP side, and if it is not working with GPON module, I can't persuade them to give me the manual configuration or the username and password of the line. the trick is to let the gpon works like the huwaei one.

this is my configuration

sterod
just joined

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:17 pm

You are going to need a Huawei SFP GPON. I had a similar problem where my ISP (Bell Canada) issued a Nokia (Alcatel) ONT with an integrated GPON that was not removable. I tried the MikroTik SFP GPON and it simply would not work. I had to buy an Alcatel SFP GPON in order for it to work, and I also had to provide Bell with the SFP SN so they could add it to the account whitelist. Bell Canada locks out GPON's which are not authorized on their network.

mohands
just joined

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:52 am

is there any option to change the serial number of the sfp gpon onu module to deceive the isp

sterod
just joined

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:26 am

You can't change the serial number on the MikroTik SFP GPON. There is a guy in spain that offers a programmable SFP GPON, which you can set your own serial number on, but that won't help you if his SFP GPON doesn't run the proper chipset to match the ONU on the other provider end, usually Huawei or Alacatel-Lucent.

mohands
just joined

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:03 am

mine is huawei, so i expect it will run

Lukasz032
just joined

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:59 pm

that won't help you if his SFP GPON doesn't run the proper chipset
It's not the chipset, it's the vendor-specific OMCI extensions that make this failing. GPON itself is created with interoperability in mind, some vendors are ignoring that fact though.

darioneophone
just joined

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:28 am

I have the same issue, I have purchased the HAP AC and GPON ONU module I have same your story and everything is done by my ISP side, and if it is not working with GPON module, I can't persuade them to give me the manual configuration or the username and password of the line. the trick is to let the gpon works like the huwaei one.

this is my configuration
i work for an isp and we use huawei and zhone OLT, in order tom use huawei ONU in the zhone OLT you need to change the SN first 4 characters HWTC to ZNTS, in huawei ONU is posible from the user configuration it says "ont Autentication"

Pilbromatic
just joined

Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:07 am

Short version: This won't work, and probably never will (sadly).

Unless your ISP feels like supporting a 3rd party ONT, which would be extremely rare, then you're probably stuck. I've had a play with one of these MikroTik SFPs and even took it with me to my LFC's (Local Fibre Carrier) test lab, and while they were fascinated with my interest and understanding, they said there's no chance in it ever being supported. The onboarding process for a new ONT is just far too tedious for most LFCs (most of it is probably politics), and unless they have a significant business case for it then they won't be interested in doing it.

As for the connector, from a quick Google it looks like your Huawei uses a UPC connector (blue), so it should be directly compatible with the MikroTik SFP (as opposed to APC, which are green). While physically I believe the two colours fit together (although it's been some years since I've tried it), the internals of the connectors are different and will likely result in significant attenuation.

If you really want an SFP ONT (which to be honest, who of us doesn't) then ask your ISP if this is a service that the LFC can provide. If so, they will supply you with a pre-provisioned SFP module. In my country this is only available with expensive enterprise connections - I'd assume that this is the case with most LFCs.

Related - my answer here: https://superuser.com/questions/1462501 ... r-with-sfp

Note: My experience is with Chorus networks in New Zealand. I've also had many years working for an ISP including designing and building fibre networks.

HTH.

mbovenka

Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:39 pm

Unless your ISP feels like supporting a 3rd party ONT, which would be extremely rare

Less so in the EU; ISPs are legally required to allow you to use your own equipment, and that includes the ONT. For GPON most ISPs are already there, XGS-PON is still a work in progress. My own ISP supports the use of your own GPON ONT, but not (yet) an XGS-PON one.