Community discussions

MikroTik App

jko
just joined
Topic Author

Can I connect "internet" to other than Port 1 on the hEX PoE?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

The hEX PoE documents port 1 as "internet" and ports 2-5 as "LAN". Only ports 2-5 support PoE out.

Is port 1 in some way special with respect to routing, on either hardware or OS level? Can I connect my upstream network to ports 2-5 instead? The block diagram at least shows all ports connected to the same gigabit switch.

I'm looking for something that can supply 802.3af/at power to an LTE router (Zyxel LTE7460), wondering if hEX PoE can do that.

fmarais007

Re: Can I connect "internet" to other than Port 1 on the hEX PoE?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi,

This is just the default config that ships with RouterOS.
You will either need to modify this, or reset config with no defaults and setup your own network.

Any port can be used for anything on RouterOS, except obviously if it doesn't do POE out it won't.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:05 pm

configuration wise, the internet port is the one that has a DHCP client on it, a firewall, and some NAT rules.
the LAN ports are in a bridge, and the bridge has a DHCP server on it.

You can set any other ports to do the same things, you can even have multiple internet ports in any order.

Here is some more info on how devices are configured https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:D ... igurations

jebz

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:56 pm

The hEX PoE documents port 1 as "internet" and ports 2-5 as "LAN". Only ports 2-5 support PoE out.
Is port 1 in some way special with respect to routing, on either hardware or OS level? Can I connect my upstream network to ports 2-5 instead?
If you have a current ROS version remove port 5 from the bridge. Add a DHCP client to port 5 and srcnat to port 5. Add firewall rules for port 5 internet connection.
Use port 5 for connection to your PoE modem.