Community discussions

MikroTik App

kthackwray
just joined
Topic Author

ltap mini usb power LTE interface off

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:21 am

I installed a new ltap mini LTE and it worked first time - LTE connection was good and I had a "mobile" wifi device
I then installed it in the car with USB power and it would not work - and after probably 8 hours of trying to upgrade code and trying to access the modem etc I eventually took it back to the dealer as the LTE interface juts would not come up - thought it had gone faulty .
Then hey presto - the guy defaults the unit and the LTE interface comes up - BUT HE HAS THE 12V POWER attached
So I guess I could use the lighter jack and give 12v to the unit but this is quite a deficiency in the product if you ask me
This is more for information than actually expecting a fix as I suspect it is a hardware limitation - but it would be nice to see in some release notes or something
PS the GPS also needs the GPS package update - and an external GPS antennae kit (UFL to SMA(f) RP + ACGPSA GPS - the connector on the board is UFL - and the external antennae is SMA

DSK

Re: ltap mini usb power LTE interface off

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 pm

USB power is 5 volts. This is not enough to power LTE, WLAN, GPS and other internal functions concurrently. This is known and a thread about the same exists on this forum. GPS misbehaves without an external antennae. Of course you have to download the GPS package for it to work.

leon84
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Sorry I have the same problem. In tech specifications Mikrotik declare a maximum consuption of about 9 W. I tried to power up with USB charger with an output of 2.4 A and nothing. I don't think the problem is the consuption.

CTSsean
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Same problem. not happy. Why include a USB power input if its not enough to actually power the LTE interface. It's bs.

intensex

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:10 am

Me too,and if USB 5v power in, Will have a noise from the router board near GPS module

theprojectgroup
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Same here.
The products description is horrible due to it's lack of disclaimers regarding function and compatibility.

- USB Power not Working (at least LTE is missing, also WiFi is unstable)
- GPS only with external antenna (I'm aware that the brochure now includes this but it hasn't a long time)

Any ways to fix this in software?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:52 pm

- USB Power not Working (at least LTE is missing, also WiFi is unstable)
Any ways to fix this in software?

The problem with USB powering of ltap is that ltap's max power consumption is 9W, almost 2A. Not many USP power adapters can do that much and without dropping voltage. With that kind of current the wire connectiing 5V source and ltap should either be real short or made of thick wires or else the cable might trop the voltage by 0.2V (or even more) and then you have unstable operation.
The device comes with "external DC power cable" and I suggest to use that to hook up automotive 12V directly.

And power issues can't really be solved in software.

theprojectgroup
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:47 am

Thx for the tip.
The sources should be fine.
Already tried 10cm cables. Didn’t work.