Community discussions

MikroTik App

BmoreItDan
just joined
Topic Author

Non-Microtik SFP+ DAC with CRS317... is it OK?

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:30 pm

I've purchased a new CRS317 and ordered 0.5M SFP+ DACs, but when ordering them on Amazon, they were specified for use with Ubiquiti, not Microtik. The "Microtik" cables were 3M, when I chose the 0.5M length, it changed to "Ubiquiti" and I didn't notice. Well, I've received these cables now and they appear to work. The CRS317 SwitchOS page properly recognizes them.

I don't know why they are specified for Ubiquiti, but I wanted ask the community if you might know of any reason why it could be a problem.

Purchased DACs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHF7JSG
microtik_crs317_dac.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Non-Microtik SFP+ DAC with CRS317... is it OK?

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:34 pm

MikroTik and UBNT SFP compatibility is quite good. I've just deployed a pair of UBNT SFP's one end to a UniFi switch and the other to a hAP AC.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:30 am

MikroTik in general has quite good SFP+ compatibility (except RB4011). I haven't came across module that didn't work in mtk yet. Sometimes they require disabling autonegotiation but apart from that everything's fine.

BmoreItDan
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am

Thank you guys very much for your responses. Would you recommend I only purchase items marked as 'Microtik" in the future, or do you think I'm safe continuing to buy these cables?

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Thank you guys very much for your responses. Would you recommend I only purchase items marked as 'Microtik" in the future, or do you think I'm safe continuing to buy these cables?
I'm using 10Gtek (to connect to Intel because Intel gear doesn't work with non-Intel DACs and modules and 10Gtek makes cheap Intel compatible gear) and FS.COM for everything else because they have great support and prices. For 10G copper I use MikroTik S+RJ10 because it's the cheapest copper 10G module I could find in the market and it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than even FS.COM copper 10G

I do have couple of genuine MikroTik DACs and modules just in case there will be some issue with connectivity and I'll need to rule out incompatible modules for troubleshooting. But other than that yeah, go on with anything you want. I know huge companies that rely eg. on FS.COM modules for everything.

Also pl0x it's MikroTik. K. There's no C. #stopcringe :P

Melody5781

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:23 am

It's safe to buy these cables. They have good compatibility. In a long-term, you can buy cables like ubiquiti, fs.com, etc. They are more flexible in cabling, which supports many brands' devices, not just Microtik.