Community discussions

MikroTik App

bkieser
just joined
Topic Author

SXT SA5 ac - Two devices cannot see each other 400m apart

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:43 am

I have 2 SXT devices, both in separate houses at a window pointing at each other.
One is in bridge mode exporting ethernet wifi as AP.
The other is as CPE (client AP), receiving the wifi internet and bridging it to the ethernet port.
I.e. I am using them to link an internet enabled wired network to another wired network, enabling the internet on the second wired network.

The internet AP device works fine in the house, mobile phones can connect to it from anywhere. However, the signal outside drops within 50m to undetectable.

The client AP can pick up the (faint) 5G signal of the router sitting right next to the SXT, but cannot detect the SXT at all.

So a cheap router supplied by BT is detected better than the SXT.

Antenna gain is at 0 dbi. I tried on 10 dbi and still nothing.

Anyone got any suggestions?

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: SXT SA5 ac - Two devices cannot see each other 400m apart

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Possible problems of going through a window, metal screen, metal coated glass, or problem with the radio.

I would test the radio first just in case to eliminate it first. If it tests fine, look for problems with building materials.

Mimo router may get some more signal out through the building in different ways but won't be strong if there is a problem with building materials.

Have run into old windows too that have done the same also, open window and it works, closed and doesn't. Also had one customer that had all brick buildings, and metal screens everywhere. Awful situation for wireless to go through a building to the outside.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

vasilaos
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Sxt's maybe missconfigured. Post export configuration of both sxt's

bkieser
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Possible problems of going through a window, metal screen, metal coated glass, or problem with the radio.

I would test the radio first just in case to eliminate it first. If it tests fine, look for problems with building materials.

Mimo router may get some more signal out through the building in different ways but won't be strong if there is a problem with building materials.

Have run into old windows too that have done the same also, open window and it works, closed and doesn't. Also had one customer that had all brick buildings, and metal screens everywhere. Awful situation for wireless to go through a building to the outside.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Thank you, I will try.

bkieser
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 am

I can confirm the that issue was indeed that the window was somehow blocking the signal. It is a triple glazed window. I moved the transmitter to a single glazed window and it worked perfectly.

Thank you everyone for your help.