Community discussions

MikroTik App

totempole
just joined
Topic Author

Router that does not sound like a Jet Engine for Home 10G Internet?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Please recommend a sensible router with 2 SFP+ posrts for 10G home internet use that can be placed in the living room or next to your desk.
I had to return the CCR1036-8G-2S+EM because jet engine. OMG...

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Router that does not sound like a Jet Engine for Home 10G Internet?

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 am

the 4011 doesn’t have 2 sfp+ ports, but you can squeeze out way more than 1gbps. and it has no fans.

there is one thing i don’t quite understand:
10Gbps internet connnectivity for home? this is quite an overkill square!

but let’s assume you need this bw, but why’d you place the router into your living room?! with regular home gear you can’t really use more than 1gbps. but if you ufire up some servers, you will not be anle to hear the CCR fans anymore.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 am

Replace the stock fans with quieter versions. I once did that for an old 3Com switch I had.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 pm

the 4011 doesn’t have 2 sfp+ ports, but you can squeeze out way more than 1gbps. and it has no fans.

there is one thing i don’t quite understand:
10Gbps internet connnectivity for home? this is quite an overkill square!

but let’s assume you need this bw, but why’d you place the router into your living room?! with regular home gear you can’t really use more than 1gbps. but if you ufire up some servers, you will not be anle to hear the CCR fans anymore.
Excellent response, I am getting so annoyed reading some of the posts people post here just to bitch, moan and bash Mikrotik products.

I am not a member of any other vendor forums i.e. Cisco as I don't care for them, so can't say if same thing happens there, but seems to have become the norm here.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 am

Please recommend a sensible router with 2 SFP+ posrts for 10G home internet use that can be placed in the living room or next to your desk.
I had to return the CCR1036-8G-2S+EM because jet engine. OMG...
As far as I know, there is no such model (passive cooled with 2* SFP+). Best (yet unsufficient) alternatives are:
  • CCR with "PC" (Passive cooling) suffix (currently only CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC)
  • or already mentioned RB4011iGS+RM.
Both having only 1* SFP+ port.

I was thinking and there are few ways to solve this:
  1. Give up half of bandwidth (10Gbit half-duplex instead of 10Gbit full-duplex) and design your network with "router on a stick". Router might be then connected to a switch with 3 or more SFP+ ports (passive cooled are only CRS305-1G-4S+IN and CRS317-1G-16S+RM) . Your internet packets would go to switch where it would get VLAN-tagged and forwarded to your router. Router can then do all routing stuff, address translations, queues etc etc, and then send the data back to switch, either untagged or via another tagged VLAN. Switch can then distribute it to your LAN..
  2. use some switch as bonding aggregator - internet would go directly to your router but then, LAN would exit router on multiple bonded ETH ports. Those ETH ports would go straight to switch, which would to same bonding and therefore, you would get theoretical 10Gbit behind your router. This however will not give you real 10Gbit, because for that, you would need a balance-rr mode, which cannot be HW offloaded on any current CRS. without HW offload, there is no way that switch will be able to do balance-rr bonding via CPU. Unfortunately, hw-offloaded modes won't give you true 10Gbit either, because packets from one L3/L4 connection will be always forwarded via same ETH port. Therefore in total, you might get 10Gbit, but one connection will be always limited to 1Gbit.
Sorry for no good news.

Replace the stock fans with quieter versions. I once did that for an old 3Com switch I had.
This might work to some extent but it won't ever be nicely quiet. 1U cases can accomodate only 40mm fans which will always produce some sound, even if it is from noctua, because no manufacturer can bend physical laws - to generate some airflow with so small diameter, fan simply needs to have pretty high RPM.

@czfan: Happens all the time. All you need is few frustrated people to stir the community...

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 am

Get the 4 port 10gbit switch, device like 4011 to run as a router on a stick, port 1 outside, port 2 router, port 3 inside, done. Limits some of your capacity but for home internet shouldn't matter that much.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am

It is possible to mod the router case to be able to dismount small fans from back and to put a big low profile fan on top. After then to set its speed under requested noise level. When the case is big enough, more than one fan can be used. Noise will be gone and cooling will be much better than with the stock fans.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 pm

It is possible to mod the router case ....... Noise will be gone and cooling will be much better than with the stock fans.

I'm not sure how your suggestion would pass WAF test when placing such a modded beast into living room. But then, if idea of a router in the living room passes, everything is possible.