Community discussions

MikroTik App

Inlandchris
just joined
Topic Author

looking for dual wan router

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:17 pm

I am searching for dual fiber wan router with 16 LAN ports. It should have fail-over/load balancing and pppoe login and a throughput of 1 GB or more
I have a Cisco RV345 in my home with 16 LAN ports connected but the wan connections are for Rj45. I want a router like the Cisco that will have a fiber wan so I won't need the ISP's fiber modem/router. All house wiring are CAT 7A to future proof it.
Is there any hardware on this site that comes close to these specs?
Thanks in advance
inlandchris

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: looking for dual wan router  [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

in general you don't have specificly LAN or WAN ports in routeros. those are just ports, and they act as you configure them. you can have all ports as wan if you wish so.

with regards if throughput: you can get 1Gbps pppoe+routing+nat with hex, hex-s, hap ac, hap ac2, 4011 and anything of the ccr series. (the bigger ccrs have fans, all the others are passively cooled)
if you need more ports (the first 3 have only 5-6 ports, 4011 has 11 ports and the ccrs vary from 8 to 16) i suggest you add just a small switch.
mikrotik offers a bunch of good devices for peanuts, and they can be all managed properly with cli and over a GUI, and are fanless. in terms of extra power consumption you get 24 wirespeed ge ports at 20-25W (crs125, crs326, ccs326). check here for switches:

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/switches ($140-$200)

and here for routers:

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/routers ($59-$1k)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: looking for dual wan router

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:46 pm

I want a router like the Cisco that will have a fiber wan so I won't need the ISP's fiber modem/router.

In addition to what @doneware wrote: there are WAN technologies where one needs to be careful. One example is GPON where most networks use speciffic GPON ONT devices ... while there are GPON ONT devices in form of SFP, they might not be compatible with Routerboard devices and might require some special setup (by user, ISP or both) to make them work.

Inlandchris
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm

I want a router like the Cisco that will have a fiber wan so I won't need the ISP's fiber modem/router.

In addition to what @doneware wrote: there are WAN technologies where one needs to be careful. One example is GPON where most networks use speciffic GPON ONT devices ... while there are GPON ONT devices in form of SFP, they might not be compatible with Routerboard devices and might require some special setup (by user, ISP or both) to make them work.
Thank you and you are right; mine is GPON

Inlandchris
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm

in general you don't have specificly LAN or WAN ports in routeros. those are just ports, and they act as you configure them. you can have all ports as wan if you wish so.

with regards if throughput: you can get 1Gbps pppoe+routing+nat with hex, hex-s, hap ac, hap ac2, 4011 and anything of the ccr series. (the bigger ccrs have fans, all the others are passively cooled)
if you need more ports (the first 3 have only 5-6 ports, 4011 has 11 ports and the ccrs vary from 8 to 16) i suggest you add just a small switch.
mikrotik offers a bunch of good devices for peanuts, and they can be all managed properly with cli and over a GUI, and are fanless. in terms of extra power consumption you get 24 wirespeed ge ports at 20-25W (crs125, crs326, ccs326). check here for switches:

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/switches ($140-$200)

and here for routers:

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/routers ($59-$1k)
Thank you for the advice. I saw the routers and I like this one: CCR1036-12G-4S. This will fit my needs although I may have to put a small switch on one port. Now I have to find out the pricing for the licensing and see if there is a fiber "GPON" module that will fit in the 2 SFP cage

Inlandchris
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 am

I have researched series 1016, 1036, 1072 and I like the 1036 but wished for more LAN ports but can use a switch for more ports. However, I am concerned with the present bios/software. There are reports of VPNFilter being malware or open for hacking. Can someone tell me when the new firmware upgrade is scheduled for?

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 am

Inlandchris
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 am

Thank you, you answered my question, great forum!
One last wuestion, where can I find a list of prices for features on model mikrotik ccr1036-12-4s-em

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 am

It has a level 6 license, so basically unlimited.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... nse_Levels

For featured packages, check the "Extra packages" link under TILE architecture in the MikroTik download page. Dude server is supported as well.

Inlandchris
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Thank you everyone, I like this router 1036-12G-4s and/or -EM