Community discussions

djdrastic
Topic Author

RB2011 Power Adapter Woes

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi guys I've been having a bit of bad luck lately with my RB2011 Power Adapters in the last couple of months.Adapters fail in such a way that causes RB's to either randomly reboot or would cause the RB to fail bootup most of the times.Most of my units are directly powered via the DC in jack but had one site fail via POE-in like this as well.

Have burned through at least 6 units or so in the last 2 months at different sites and as is the usual , it's almost always at a highsite or VIP site unfortunately :-| :-| :-| :-|
I've seen some guys talk about powering them with 15w Notebook chargers and that seems to work well.Does anybody have a link to the notebook chargers they use with these boards ? Just want to make sure I get a quality unit.

Thanks

pcunite
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RB2011 Power Adapter Woes

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:46 am

Interesting, ever get it sorted out?

djdrastic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 am

Nah nothing yet unfortunately.I might have to move to powering them up with POE with a Ubnt adapter though I've had failures of those as well in the past :(
I'm busy with a supplier trying to find a 3rd party manufacturer who make compatible DC adapters.

The bad thing is the adapters fail in such a way where the RB can boot , but not power the unit reliably.Playing with the affected devices in the lab even if I use the secondary power in via the POE in , the router will boot with the semi-faulty DC adapter.

Honestly the best way around this is just good filtered power and high quality redundant DC adapters.

pcunite
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Honestly the best way around this is just good filtered power and high quality redundant DC adapters.

I agree with that. Since these are RB2011 units, do you think maybe some capacitors are going bad?