Community discussions

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

need advice on hardware choice

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade some hardware as I'm moving house. Right now I have a Mikrotik 750GL for router and an old netgear wireless router that I use for Wifi. I've been very happy with the Mikrotik, and being a Linux user it feels fairly natural so when upgrading I prefer to get a new. The apartment have wired connections, with the incoming WAN situated in a metal locker, and ethernet connections between the locker and the different rooms. That means that I need a router without wifi, and I need to supplement that with wifi.

I'd prefer to have at 6-10 LAN connections but if need be, I can live with 5. USB connection would be welcome but not necessary. I'd like to get WebProxy set up on it, if possible to have that written to an USB HDD but I could live with other solutions. Throughput is important (the place have a 100M connection) but from what I've seen all Mikrotik routers do that well.

I've been looking at the MikroTik RouterBoard RB2011. Would that be a good alternative for my needs? Or is there anything else you'd recommend? And what wireless solution would be a good alternative?

Any input from the forum members would be appreciated
Thanks
mojoman