Community discussions

MikroTik App

horstkevin
Topic Author

POE-OUT short circuit on RB960PGS

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:47 am

Hi there,

I have a hEX PoE (RB960PGS) and I want to use the PoE-OUT on several ports.
The device is brandnew and comes with factory software 6.40.

When I use the DC IN Jack with 24V / 2,5A power supply and plug in a LAN cable to eth1 and connect from winbox I have an poe-out error message "short circuit" on eth4 (no cable plugged in).
that massages comes up and disappears 1 time per second.
I then changed the DC in from 24V / 2,5A to 48V / 1,46A. When I use this power supply the message "short circuit" is shown permanently.

I tried to use newest software version 6.44rc4 but that didnt help.
I tried to change PoE out settings on port eth4 from "auto on" to "forced on" and plugged in eth1 of an hAP ac (RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT), but then I get an "overload" error.

When I disable PoE out feature on eht4 and try to use eth5 instead with "auto on" the hAP ac doesnt work. When I change on eth5 to "forced on" then I get "overload" error, too.

The tech spec of (RB960PGS) says that there are 450mA per port output, when DC in is > 30V (it is 48V). So 48V x 450mA = 21,6 Watts.
MAX powerconsumption of hAP ac is 17Watts. So why is there an overload?

Is there a damage on the new routerboard or how can I solve the problem?

Regards,
horstkevin

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: POE-OUT short circuit on RB960PGS  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:30 am

For your "overload" problem: if you are using a short ethernet cable, try using a longer one, eg 10m. This helped me to power a hAP AC by a HEX POE. It will "flicker" a few times thou before it is stable.

horstkevin
Topic Author

Re: POE-OUT short circuit on RB960PGS

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi muetzekoeln,

thx for your help! all problems "solved".
curious thing: I have two "hAP ac" devices that I want to connect to hEX PoE: device1 on 3m patch cable did not work (I tried several times and with different versions of routerOS).
Putting device2 on 3m patch cable works!
Putting device1 on 10m patch cable works!
and now: putting device1 on 3m patch cable works, too (after flickering)! :shock: :lol:

(btw: there cannot be a real overload problem: on factory default settings the hAP ac consumes <6 watts only.)

And even poe-out on eth4 works when a 10m patch cable is used (and after flickering).

All poe-out-ports have to be set to "forced on" - "auto on" does not work at all with my devices.

greetings from Hamm/NRW/Germany,
HK

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: POE-OUT short circuit on RB960PGS

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:14 pm

You are welcome.

I think it's some weird case of inrush currents detected by the HEX.