Community discussions

Ernst
just joined

Re: MUM Europe 2019: new hardware

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm

@raystream

I guess the "new mikrotik powerline device" you mention means a simple USB charger, with the specialty that it is capable of letting through already-converted Powerline Communications (PLC) protocol data between its USB port and the 230V plug. This is the only way I could imagine this new feature which, by the way would only make sense if you already own a mAP and this additional "special" power supply (microUSB-230V) is cheaper than purchasing a standard PL7411-2nD (which already has WiFi and an Ethernet port on board).

Ultimately I believe both the mAP and the PL7411-2nD are essentially the same in terms of:
  • They share the same main board including the QCA9531/9533 SoC
  • They both have the AR7420 Powerline controller chip (which was not on the mAP's specs page) that does the actual Powerline protocol (PLC) conversion i.e. it converts and modulates 802.3 Ethernet data onto the 5V power pin
  • A 230V to 5V power supply that is compatible with the powerline protocol i.e. it lets data (already powerline protocol) through between its 5V and 230V side

- and the difference is that you can have these in one single box as a PL7411-2nD or separately as a mAP + this "special"/"supprted" USB power supply. This is my understanding based on the current info and datasheets available.

yogi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:36 pm

- LHG XL HP, Gbit + SFP, Dual band High gain and output power
- Audience: Home accesspoint with meshing support, Tri-Band 802.11ac, 2x 5 GHz, 2x Ethernet, LTE model with SIM slot and CAT6 modem
Dual band LHG XL being 2,4 and 5,8 not 60GHz and 5,8 backup? That doesn't make sense?

Audience tri-band being 2x5,8 1x2,4 not actual tri-band being 3 separate frequencies 60Ghz, 2,4 and 5,8? You guys sure?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:02 am

Audience tri-band being 2x5,8 1x2,4 not actual tri-band being 3 separate frequencies 60Ghz, 2,4 and 5,8? You guys sure?

you are taking the sentence literally without taking in count context

is a common designation use the term tri band router referring to a 2 x 5ghz + 1 2.4 ghz router

for example

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... r-reviewed

yogi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 am

is a common designation use the term tri band router referring to a 2 x 5ghz + 1 2.4 ghz router
Perfect thank you, just checking and exactly what we want, well once we see the price.

Anybody able to help me on the Dual band LHG XL if it is 60GHz and 5,8 as there we do not need a 2,4 and 5,8?

troffasky

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Just because it's common doesn't mean that it isn't idiocy. Shame that Mikrotik perpetuate this. It's like calling gigabit ethernet 2Gbps because it's 1Gbps in each direction.

griepert
just joined

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Is anybody out there who can give me a use case for "GPEN"? I cannot imagine that someone buries ethernet cables under the ground, seriously? Or has buried any ethernet cables in past? Any explanation welcome...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 pm

The MUM presentation included a clear example. Highrise buildings, multi apartment buildings, with many floors and sections, where very long ethernet cables might be a problem.

Home user connects WiFI AP to GPEN11, which then outputs PoE power over ethernet, ethernet is extended with GPER units up to 1.5km long, then on the roof you have a outdoor switch, which takes power from all the apartments (from GPEN11), then there is some kind of link to the next building, 60GHz for example.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

marekm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Any estimate when the outdoor switches with many PoE inputs (CRS318-16Fi-2S) would become available from distributors?
Does the F stand for Fast ethernet (not gigabit)? Is the PoE-out port also not gigabit? (so gigabit uplink to LHG60 would need a copper SFP and use PoE-out port only for power)

As for highrise buildings, I would be worried about lightning strikes inducing dangerous voltages in very long vertical cables so fiber is still preferable. But here we have many single family houses "glued together in a row" with no common part to take power from, and it's not very reliable to depend on power from a single customer - it's a bit like highrise building but horizontal :)

rgenovesi
just joined

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 pm

I just stumbled across the GPEN11, interesting product. Does it out POE power on both ports? The cabling diagram seems to indicate yes but the documentation doesn't say so I was just looking for some clarification.

taduikis

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 pm

We had approx a hundred such setups with 2-18 clients per building. It works quite well and is easy to deploy on roofs. But they’re indeed subject to lightning. We had plenty with fried ports and whole switches together with client routers. Long open cable runs either vertical or horizontal on buildings effectively catch lightning. And installing surge arrestors and quality grounding brings you to the price of fiber, so it really depends on how much this new invention of MT will cost..

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 am

Does it out POE power on both ports?
that'll be my question too. it would be so nice to have poe out on both ports, so you could just have the indoor CPE connected by a single ethernet and hide the wall wart.
also, it would bring more straightforward troubleshooting:
- if power is connected, both devices (outdoor and indoor) are powered

in some cases the source of issues is really just "user error"
#TR0359

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:23 am

We had approx a hundred such setups with 2-18 clients per building. It works quite well and is easy to deploy on roofs. But they’re indeed subject to lightning. We had plenty with fried ports and whole switches together with client routers. Long open cable runs either vertical or horizontal on buildings effectively catch lightning. And installing surge arrestors and quality grounding brings you to the price of fiber, so it really depends on how much this new invention of MT will cost..
grounding problem is a building problem not a network problem, that kind of scenario favors optical fiber, but you still will have issues with reset of routers, burned routers and or power supplies