Community discussions

MikroTik App

marine88
Topic Author

HAP AC vs HAP AC2

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi there Im knew here did get to know Mikrotik in youtube reviews and liked what i see. I had a router tp-link archer c9 with dd-wrt for 2 years and I brick after a upgrade on system tried everything with no luck so now im l with home assistant so lots of wifi devices ocking for a new router.
I live in a small house but i plan to move soon and i hava demotic so lot of wifi devices (40) i m using my old tp link wrd3600 but having issues on speed of conection in wifi lag on iptv.
I decided to buy a new router with good firmware and good price/performance ratio with the possibility of mesh wifi in future when I get a bigger place.
I have loocked into HAP AC and HAP AC2 witch one should I pick? HAP AC2 should be better have a best cpu why is it cheaper? Or i should buy any of this routers?

thanks guys

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: HAP AC vs HAP AC2

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 am

It's cheaper because it's newer, we have managed to do the same, but with less parts and lower cost. Also it doesn't have 3 chain wireless, which doesn't matter too much. And it doesn't have an SFP port, which also mostly doesn't matter too much

marine88
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Thanks fot he awnser so it should be my best choice for my setup?

cwija
just joined

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Here are my 2 cents, I have rushed into buying MikroTik without previously comparing a lot and missed few points because of it and because of the old "if you don't know what's good, you know what's expensive" and I got myself hAP ac.

First it's one great "machine". WiFi is incredible. MikroTik as it always was is awesome with all the settings and features but the things that i don't like with hAP ac are:

- at some point I moved from 50/50 Mbps speed to 960/880 Mbps, first it worked OK and lately I can't really hit the top speeds (is it FW or OS update?, I did not change anything special in my architecture and/or Firewall/NAT rules, did not add any more users than I had, CPU is not overloaded...)
- it's one core CPU (my mistake in comparing it)
- 16 MB of storage, cmon MikroTik...
- 1 Gbps connection in between CPU and switch
- price

I like:

- SFP Cage (increase costs if you need it but can increase throughput)
- 3 chain WiFi

I suggest hAP ac2 because of ARM architecture, 4 cores CPU, (I think you don't need the SFP cage). There's 2 chain WiFi which is pretty much enough, awesome price and 2 Gbps link in between switch and CPU so theoretically it should support 1 Gbps internet speed if you have one.

marine88
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Here are my 2 cents, I have rushed into buying MikroTik without previously comparing a lot and missed few points because of it and because of the old "if you don't know what's good, you know what's expensive" and I got myself hAP ac.

First it's one great "machine". WiFi is incredible. MikroTik as it always was is awesome with all the settings and features but the things that i don't like with hAP ac are:

- at some point I moved from 50/50 Mbps speed to 960/880 Mbps, first it worked OK and lately I can't really hit the top speeds (is it FW or OS update?, I did not change anything special in my architecture and/or Firewall/NAT rules, did not add any more users than I had, CPU is not overloaded...)
- it's one core CPU (my mistake in comparing it)
- 16 MB of storage, cmon MikroTik...
- 1 Gbps connection in between CPU and switch
- price

I like:

- SFP Cage (increase costs if you need it but can increase throughput)
- 3 chain WiFi

I suggest hAP ac2 because of ARM architecture, 4 cores CPU, (I think you don't need the SFP cage). There's 2 chain WiFi which is pretty much enough, awesome price and 2 Gbps link in between switch and CPU so theoretically it should support 1 Gbps internet speed if you have one.
Thanks for your feedback and help!

whitbread
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:39 am

If you need an affordable router go for the hap ac2, if you need a good wireless device think about it twice. I cannot recommend anythink really apart from the good old rb2011 for your 2G network. I use my hap ac2 primarily as a router, moved the 2G network back to my rb2011 and all my 5G devices connect mostly to my wap ac. I think you should consider a setup with more than 1 device, especially when it comes to 5G.

paulct

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Hap AC2 + an SFP port = :)

marine88
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:48 pm

If you need an affordable router go for the hap ac2, if you need a good wireless device think about it twice. I cannot recommend anythink really apart from the good old rb2011 for your 2G network. I use my hap ac2 primarily as a router, moved the 2G network back to my rb2011 and all my 5G devices connect mostly to my wap ac. I think you should consider a setup with more than 1 device, especially when it comes to 5G.
I do consider to add it latter when I move for a new home if my home is small no I really need to AP? Does the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN do a good job alone?

Hap AC2 + an SFP port = :)
I don´t need sfp just yet