Community discussions

MikroTik App

delta1
just joined
Topic Author

Locked out. How to recover

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:50 am

I know the admin password but when I changed the IP address, it never came back.

I have plugged into the serial port and by hitting enter as it boots I can get to a menu. But what is one to do with that menu. The docs just don't cover it.

When it attempts to boot, I can see the wireless interfaces from my wireless laptops and it does have the same SSID that it had before so I am assuming that the OS is running yet the serial port gets locked out right after I see

Starting Services....

And that is all I see on the serial port. I have tried the "Reset Configuration" from the serial menu but it doesn't seem to do much other than reboot it again.

How can I get logged in to this thing via the serial port so I can assign some kind of IP address that will give me access again?

Diganet

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:34 pm

Format NAND, reinstall with Netinstall...

/Henrik

delta1
just joined
Topic Author

The problem was the serial cable

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:36 pm

The problem was having a serial cable that didn't have the handshaking signals connected. It only had tx, rx, and gnd connected. As a result, the first menu was visable and the boot process up to "Starting Services..." And then nothing more could be seen. With the correct cable, I get a login prompt!

But if I had to format NAND, how would one go about it if they couldn't get to a login prompt?

Diganet

Re: The problem was the serial cable

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:49 am

The problem was having a serial cable that didn't have the handshaking signals connected. It only had tx, rx, and gnd connected. As a result, the first menu was visable and the boot process up to "Starting Services..." And then nothing more could be seen. With the correct cable, I get a login prompt!

But if I had to format NAND, how would one go about it if they couldn't get to a login prompt?
When you format NAND and reinstall with netinstall you get a 100% fresh system that is reachable by Winbox..

/Henrik

yancho
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Try'd mac-telnet? if you only messed up ip configuration, router still should be accessible via mac-telnet (available via winbox, click three dots near "conncet to")