Community discussions

MikroTik App

inteq
Topic Author

RB1100Ahx4 Dude Edition - Slow SATA speeds

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello,

Using a couple of RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition routers in several locations.
The reason I bought the Dude Edition was mainly for proxy caching and in a few locations for simple centralized SMB storage. Not so much for the Dude itself.
On the product page it states:
The RB1100AHx4 Dude edition features several high speed storage connectors (two SATA and two M.2) for using a Dude database, proxy cache or any other storage intensive feature
Nevertheless, at least during my tests, all RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition routers are failing miserably at the "storage intensive feature" part.
All locations using this model have 1 Gbps lan clients and infrastructure, but for some reason, the best speed I could get out of any router while using the proxy was ~40 MBps but with a lot of dips to 10-20 MBps. And by using the proxy I mean getting a file cached locally on the router downloaded to a local client via gigabit ethernet.

I thought that maybe the included M.2 60 GB drive was faulty, so I opened one device and put a 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA spinning drive from Seagate.
Cleared the proxy cache and setup the proxy to use the new location.
To my surprise, downloading from cache starts at around 20 MBps and quickly drops down to under 1 MBps
Tested the 1 TB Seagate drive on my desktop and the minimum speed achieved is ~80 MBps.

SMB wise, the included 60 GB M.2 drive can do 10-70 MBps up/down. Using the 1 TB drive for SMB resulted in worse speeds: under 1 MBps

Now, I understand that a router is not a NAS, but marketing the product as "features several high speed storage connectors" and delivering a product that cannot sustain even 1 MBps SMB and 10-40 MBps proxy from cache is not nice.

I have searched high and low and I could not find other topics on this matter.
Am I really the only one using this model for proxy caching?
Anyone else in the same boat and maybe with a solution for this?

Thank you

inteq
Topic Author

Re: RB1100Ahx4 Dude Edition - Slow SATA speeds

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21 pm

In case anyone else is looking for an answer to this, Mikrotik responded with:
Hello,

For now, reading/writing to storage is a single-core process in RouterOS and, as the CPU resource screenshots show, they are reaching the maximum load.
Unfortunately, our research has revealed that currently, it is not possible to provide better file transfer speeds on RB1100Dx4.
Good thing they have a marketing dep. to write stuff like "high speed storage connectors " and "other storage intensive" on product page. Not.

Joni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB1100Ahx4 Dude Edition - Slow SATA speeds

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:59 am

Wonder when they are going to catch up on their own deception... https://mikrotik.com/product/RB1100Dx4 (still same speed sentence)
This is intentionally misleading and has been reported to https://www.eccnet.eu/ Ombudsman