Community discussions

MikroTik App

avistudio
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik! Please, make G(E)PON ONU!

Mon May 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Hello my friends from Mikrotik!
Dear engineers, why u don't look to create a g/epon onu device? Somethink like a combination of hAP mini and a universal onu, for example V-Sol with at least one 5dbi external antenna?
It could be an awesome device!!!! Many ISPs are using now g/e/pon and your nice routerboards and routeros would be very interesting for them, and for me too...

why couldn't you make something like this:

It will be a perfect solution

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: MikroTik! Please, make G(E)PON ONU!

Mon May 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Mikrotik had a GPON/ONU SFP module, to make any Mikrotik device with SFP slot an ONU:
https://mikrotik.com/product/SFPONU

It is discontinued. Don't know why.

DSK

Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Most importantly, pricing has to be competitive as the Chinese manufacturers.

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Too late now to make any major investments in the GPON technology.

Most large providers already rolled out in selected cities around the globe next generation XGS-PON or NG-PON2. These new 10Gb technologies will happily coexist with legacy GPON due to different wavelengths. In 2019-2020 more cities will be gradually upgraded to the PON1/PON2.

Mikrotik knows that and they just recently released, affordable 10Gbit switch. Get your 10Gbit gear ready!
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

avistudio
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Belive me, G/E/Pon technology are still in vogue, in many countries fiber optic networks are just now in development, there are a lot of OLT manufacturers, and most are compatible with different ONU models, that;s why Mikrotik can think about development for an ONU device, let say a routerboard with Gpon Module on board. And because of great RouterOS power , it would be a SUPER interesting device. Many times i just thought about to solder on one single board/enclosure an ONU and a hAP mini + external wifi antenna! As an ISP i perfectly understand the priority of an ALL-in-ONE device!

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 07, 2019 1:25 am

Certainly is and will be for the next couple years but they probably missed the boat on this one, especially now when new technology is just around the corner.
New NG-PON deployments should drive xPON prices down on the second hand market not to mention plenty of choices from Korean and Chinese vendors.

MK last adventure into xPON territory did not go too well. As you heard, GPON SFP ONU was discontinued.
We've been asking for over 2 years to make Mikrotik SFP ONU configurable.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116364
At the end we voted with our wallets and purchased SFP ONUs from other vendors, willing to accommodate our requests.

And, +1 for Mikrotik full size ONT as long is not restricted in any way.

jondavy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:47 pm

we really need a solution with embedded routers,
because the others or the web interface is very limited or all by cli

+1 for MikroTik GPON products

krafg
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 am

I know that the reason to discontinue the production of the GPON module is the costs. It's too hard for MikroTik to compete with other brands. Anyway if MikroTik needs launch this product more expensive that competitors, would be great for users that can have this option of GPON module.

+1 for MikroTik GPON module.

Regards.
If you want to know my network, you can find it here.

Telegram: @krafgrgi

r00t

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:29 am

Hey Mikrotik, for a start, why not just buy OEM GPON SFP modules, certify they work with ROS, rebrand them and sell them, under Mikrotik brand?
Look into this topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116364
You can get GPON SFP that will work with Mikrotik, but if you just need one, you pay extra $$$ and Chinese sellers just doesn't care about you, so no support.
But if Mikrotik made a big order, they could easily specify hardware so it's 100% compatible with routerboards, according to all the specifications they have.
Also add custom dialog for GPON provisioning to ROS, so you can set all required parameters easily from ROS.
All the required work is just in software, the hardware exists and works, but configuration is cumbersome and there are some issues with how ROS reads SFP EEPROM values etc.
There is clearly market for GPON modules, so let's make it happen.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Anyone have any experience with XGS-PON? It will coming into an area I support. Hoping I won't have to use a gateway device. Media converter or a direct fiber link connection is the hope.

marekm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 am

Please make an outdoor ONU powered by PoE (similar to RBFTC11 but for GPON/EPON) - this way existing radio installations could be upgraded to overhead fiber optic cable.

CarlitoxxPro

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:21 pm

Facebook: fb.me.com/CarlitoxxPro
Twitter: @CarlitoxxPro
Telegram: t.me/CarlitoxxPro
Email: contacto [at] carlitoxxpro.com