Community discussions

MikroTik App

flameproof
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

LtAP Kit no registration - Vodafone ES SIM

Mon May 20, 2019 12:39 am

I have an oldish SXT LTE which has worked fine with a Vodafone Spain SIM card. I have ordered two LtAP Kit units, which has a followup order of 30 more to be used as backups on our remote sites.

Nothing I have tried has gotten this device to register on the network. I have tried two other SIMs, same result. There is no way to enable 3G, when I select it and apply it goes back to LTE only, the band selection appears not to do anything, LTE scanner returns nothing...

Is it me, or does this seem like a half-baked, rushed out the door product? Not even enabling logs produces a log, e.g. lte !raw, or lte + debug, nothing.

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: LtAP Kit no registration - Vodafone ES SIM

Mon May 20, 2019 3:41 am

LtAP mini Kit has two SIM slots. Is it possible you are using the wrong SIM slot?

They way those slots are it's not always clear weather you've inserted the SIM on slot 1 or slot 2 (they call it up/down in System>Routerboard>SIM menu).

flameproof
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: LtAP Kit no registration - Vodafone ES SIM

Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I did notice the graphic with two SIMs and two small dots - it would be nice to have an extended manual for this device.

However, this was not the issue, the SIM was recognized fine. I have got the LtAP to register, barely (121 link downs overnight!) doing:

- Removed the hot glue from the UFL connectors, and the PCB antennas (no change, however have seen glue in use before that was somewhat conductive)
- Removed the PCB antenna from the case and the glue tape (same reason, but also no change)
- Upgraded to v6.45beta45 (no change on registering, but logging started working)
- Replaced the PCB antenna with two UFL to SMA pigtails, and two small WiFi antennas (didn't have RP-SMA LTE ones...) <- Started registering here!

To me the conclusions are:

1. The R11 4G is extremely deaf, or has firmware issues which I cannot fix as I cannot upgrade it without a stable LTE link... kinda pointless not to be able to upgrade via the LtAP.
2. The PCB antenna is also extremely deaf - no matter what I tried got it to work, and finally, to crappy "plastic" WiFi dipoles made it work with difficulty.

Very inmature product IMHO.