Community discussions

MikroTik App

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

My Groove AC is dead

Tue May 28, 2019 5:43 pm

My Groove AC seems to have stopped responding to any network requests, and shows no connection on the network.

The on POE the top light and bottom light of the Groove AC come and and nothing else.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about this behaviour at all.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by mikedefieslife on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Groove AC diagnostic lights?

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 pm

No-one? I'll take it that it's dead then after 2 years. Shame, I was quite fond of it.

Here are the lights. These two flash on startup, then eventually remain permanently on.
IMG_4101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:58 pm

It sounds like your groove is not completing the boot. The best I can suggest is to attempt to try reloading the OS by using netinstall.

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Can't do a Netinstall as the device doesn't respond to anything, and isn't found in Netinstall. It turns on, and then gets super hot that is about it. I'm guessing these things only have a 12 warranty.

Tempted to buy another, but perhaps the ubiquiti equivalent might be worth a try for a similar price. These things all seem to be much of a muchness anyhow.

skylark
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: My Groove AC is dead

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Please try to follow these steps to load the backup bootloader:

1) Power your device off;
2) Press and hold the reset button;
3) Power device on;
4) Hold reset button pressed for 1-2 seconds and then release;
5) If device boots up, then run command "/system routerboard upgrade".

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Unfortunately there is no difference. The two lights as shown in the image above never change, and the device gets almost too hot to hold.

Following this procedure or any other i've found it is not possible to get the device detected in netinstall.

EDIT: and now the reset button (or a retainer clip for it) has just fallen out of the device. *** Sigh ***

JohnTRIVOLTA

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Try to hard reset the device by shorting special hole of board . After that try netinstall or try after few of days.
I have several boards / mipsbe based / groove, 951 series with same issue... for me this issue comming from bad flash memory and only full format/netinstall/ may solve the problem .

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Try to hard reset the device by shorting special hole of board . After that try netinstall or try after few of days.
I have several boards / mipsbe based / groove, 951 series with same issue... for me this issue comming from bad flash memory and only full format/netinstall/ may solve the problem .
Where is the reset on the Groove 52 AC then? It's not like on the original groove nor like the Hap AC. There are no images anywhere showing it especially not in the wiki.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:29 pm

How disassemble and use the reset:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Yna2f5Hao

Hope yours is the same.

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:32 pm

How disassemble and use the reset:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Yna2f5Hao

Hope yours is the same.
Thanks, but no, the Groove AC is very different in terms of the board, hence my post above. I don't think there is anything online about resetting the Groove AC manually. I think it needs a Mikrotik representative to tell people how, as it seems different from all the others I've seen.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:37 pm

I think the board is the same like nonAC Groove with different cpu and ethernet port !

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 pm

I think the board is the same like nonAC Groove with different cpu and ethernet port !
It's similar. But not the same. In the video you can see by the base of the board there are two holes with contacts around. The guy in the video uses a screw driver on the left contact to reset the board. On the AC board there are no holes, only one contact and sticking a screw driver on it achieves nothing at all. In the video you can clearly see the contact the guy uses to reset the board is split into two parts. He jumps those two part with the screwdriver. On the AC board, this doesn't exist.

TIMCOB
just joined

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:54 am

I have exactly the same issue. Unit worked for a couple of hours then I did a reset via RouterOS and now its unresponsive. Top light stays on and bottom light comes on during boot. One beep.

Also the 'manual' that came with the unit talks about the Metal so I think perhaps there is no manual for the 52 and they give you that one instead. There is no reset hole inside similar to what you have described, just the button. I cannot see it via WINBOX, Netinstall or http. Tried different cables and different laptops.

I think perhaps the saved copy of Router OS that is loaded after a reset is no good.

Tim

mikedefieslife
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Mikrotik did get back to me in the end on manually resetting this, but it's basically just the reset switch contacts. Very different from other routerboard type equipment.
Groove 52 AC.png
In the end it still didn't work. I was going to jump ship to Ubiquity but they use 24v POE, and I'm guessing that when supplied with 12v my HAP AC puts out 12V POE, so instead I just bought another Groove 52 AC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.