Community discussions

MikroTik App

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Antenna Gain

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 pm

If the antenna used says 6db on it does that mean the antenna gain should be set at 6? I am trying to improve the range of my router as it doesn't perform very well.

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:21 am

Entering the antenna gain against a wireless interface usually makes matters worse as this is used to ensure you keep within the legal EIRP for your location. Set TX Power to manual or anntena gain to 0 to get the highest output from your card, but beware you might then be transmitting at illegal power levels.

If you have a problem with range try buying a higher gain antenna. A 6dB antenna won't go far even with a high power card.

Try using the Link Possibility Calculator in the Wiki to determine what gain antenna you need for the distance you're trying to bridge.

http://www.mikrotik.com/test_link.php

One tip, make sure you enter receiver sensitivity as negative numbers, all other numbers must be positive.

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:03 am

thank you. dumb question. is there a limit to high big of an antenna i can put on this thing?

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:04 am

also when you say set transmit level to manually, do you mean to put it at 100%? is it not their by default?

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:30 am

There is no theoretical limit to the gain of what antenna you can attach, only a practical one. The higher the gain of an antenna, the narrower the angle it covers.

A 0db antenna covers an area roughly spherical, between 2dB and 15db you have the option of omni-directional or sector. Omni-directional antennae cover a area roughly doughnut shaped, getting squashed flatter the higher the gain. Sector antennae cover a smaller and smaller arc the higher the gain.

You can get antennae with gains of 26dB and more, but you usually have to turn down the power of the wireless in order to keep within legal limits, e.g. in the UK legal EIRP @ 2.4GHz is 20dBi, so ignoring cable loss using a 26dBi antenna would require the wireless to be set to -6db. In the US higher power limits apply, max EIRP @ 2.4GHz is 36dBi (assuming you're using a narrow beam angle antenna), so the wireless card could be set to 10dB. Don't think that you can just buy a high power card and high gain antenna and set both to Max, you'd likely be exceeding 52dBi which I'm fairly certain is illegal pretty much everywhere.

In wireless options set TX power to manual, then in the TX power tab select "card rates" and then enter the max value for your card, e.g. 100mW = 20dB, 200mW = 23dB. However, as said before you have to determine what the max EIRP is for your location, the TX power of the wireless plus the gain of your antenna minus any cables losses must not exceed the legal EIRP otherwise you will interfere with other users and likely end up with some enforcement officer turning up on your doorstep.

Regards

Chris Macneill

confused
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:40 am

I live out in the middle of nowhere. actually, just south of nowhere. i doubt anybody will be monitoring my wireless activities. but I'll keep that mind, thanks.

teodorch
just joined

Re: Antenna Gain

Mon May 02, 2016 9:38 am

Hi!

I would like to keep my wireless as weak as possible.
What setting should I put in antenna power and tx-power?

Thank you

jacobtoupe
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi

I doubt if it's still necessary. However,

by teodorch » Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 am
it depends on your board. But putting the antenn gain as high as possible and your tx power as low as possible will make your wirelles coverag as weak as possible.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Set your country regulatory domain and laborate with antenna gain value. The higher gain you set the lower tx power will be applied.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:14 am

To clarify once more, since this bit of information got lost in the discussion ...

setting the antenna gain number in RouterOS settings has only one use - reduction of TX power to match the total output power with the local regulations. If you don't care about that, do not enter anything in this setting, because it will allow the device to output full power.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:26 pm

But teodorch wanted to reduce the tx power...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:29 pm

But teodorch wanted to reduce the tx power...
sorry, I was answering the OP

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:50 am

To clarify once more, since this bit of information got lost in the discussion ...

setting the antenna gain number in RouterOS settings has only one use - reduction of TX power to match the total output power with the local regulations. If you don't care about that, do not enter anything in this setting, because it will allow the device to output full power.

So setting the antenna gain does not focus the radiation beam?

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:12 am

How can it possibly do that? :lol:
Antenna gain (and thus a radiation pattern) is a physical characteristic dependant on antenna's geometry, and can't be changed unless an antenna can change it's geometry on the go :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Antenna gain (and thus a radiation pattern) is a physical characteristic dependant on antenna's geometry, and can't be changed unless an antenna can change it's geometry on the go :)

Surely you're right as far as traditional antennae go. With modern beam-forming antennae (physically they are 2D array of simple antennae with appropriate number of lower-powered Tx elements which act as a phase-array antenna) it is actually possible to change focus of radiation beam(s), but mostly that's not done.
What usually is done is to have a few constant-focus narrow beams that change directions to follow stations movement ... and a single wide beam for transmitting beacon and to start off communication with a new (or previously idle) station.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 pm

That counts for
unless an antenna can change it's geometry on the go :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 pm

That counts for
unless an antenna can change it's geometry on the go :)

Not in the verbatim sense of meaning. Phase array doesn't change geometry of antenna, it changes Tx timing of individual (tiny) dipoles and ditto for Rx (where constructive resonance of all Rx elements contributes to higher overall Rx signal from one direction) ... but yes, the net effect is similar, antenna pattern changes.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Not in the verbatim sense of meaning. Phase array doesn't change geometry of antenna, it changes Tx timing of individual (tiny) dipoles and ditto for Rx (where constructive resonance of all Rx elements contributes to higher overall Rx signal from one direction) ... but yes, the net effect is similar, antenna pattern changes.
Well, in the verbatim sense of meaning antenna array is not a single antenna, as you already wrote yourself :wink:

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Surely you're right as far as traditional antennae go. With modern beam-forming antennae (physically they are 2D array of simple antennae with appropriate number of lower-powered Tx elements which act as a phase-array antenna) it is actually possible to change focus of radiation beam(s), but mostly that's not done.
What usually is done is to have a few constant-focus narrow beams that change directions to follow stations movement ... and a single wide beam for transmitting beacon and to start off communication with a new (or previously idle) station.
Modern access points can transmit simultanously to different users on multiple patterns of the same antenna by adjusting the phase of the different elements of an array.
(MU-MIMO)

kheeper
just joined

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:52 pm

So ... if I have cAP ac and want to cover as match is possible what gain should I set?

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:20 pm

I'm currently reading through "antenna gain" missing in 6.46.8? - MikroTik what make the following statement appear wrong but can't you just simplify to:

"You set your desired maximum Tx power in the CAPsMAN and lower it by using Antenna Gain on the CAP to lower Tx Power as you may want to limit coverage locally to e.g. don't want it to range too far or avoid interferences."

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 pm

Beamforming antennas can do that by changing the number of radiating elements ...