Community discussions

MikroTik App

The Grog
just joined
Topic Author

Another max question - PPPoE server on 532/A

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:41 am

I am trying to avoid running pc boards on highsites as they take up a lot of space, plus the issue of redundancy has come up again (PSU failures + heat)

I am gonna run a sector per 532 board bridged with a PPPoE server behind those sectors. My network need to scale as well as I add on sectors to handle clients.

Assuming 4 x sectors with 30-40 clients each and all running at max throughput on the sector. Each client has 512kb/s allocated to them.

How many PPPoE sessions can a 532 and a 532A handle to give me the required throughput without latency issues? and max throughput for PPPoE? These boards will not do anything else regarding shaping connections tracking etc as I will have a juniper router behind that with MPLS and traffic shaping via Juniper's SDX system.

I am willing to install multiple boards, but it will be nice to budget for how many I will need if I could have some specs?

http://forum.mikrotik.com//viewtopic.php?t=14425 is what i am planning, although the cisco device has fallen away and highsites get a Juniper J4350 with MPLS

nickb

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:22 pm

The RB532A is capable, if I recall correctly, of about 22Mbps throughput; but that would be reduced by using bandwidth queues.

I would try it with one RB532 as the access concentrator first, but I'd be prepared to move to 2.

The Grog
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:11 pm

If 22MB/s that means 44 x 512kb/s users? And this without any latency issues?

I will be using pure PPPoE server, I have a Juniper J4350 behind it for shaping and queing etc.