Community discussions

MikroTik App

labatt2
just joined
Topic Author

Powering the Groove via 12v direct by cutting the transformer off

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi All -

I've got a Groove 52ac that came with the PoE injector that's AC powered. I'm not in a place where I can get a different injector, so I'm wondering if I can just cut the transformer end of the power supply off and hardwire the tail to a 12v power supply? It appears as if the Groove takes 10v-30v DC. The AC adapter converts to 24v, but if I cut the transformer off it just becomes a wire that carries power from whatever source. Power from my system would normally not drop below 12.3v. I just don't want to do this without getting feedback as if it doesn't work (and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't) I can't replace it for a while and I need it.

Thanks!

Chris

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Powering the Groove via 12v direct by cutting the transformer off

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:43 pm

That should work fine, as long as the ethernet cables are not too long, as you get power loss on long cable runs that will lower the voltage by the time it reaches the radio.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:18 pm

12V is perfectly fine, even with some loss on the cables. Groove internally converts the voltage to 3.3V and lower, so it really doesn't need high voltage on POE input. But you have to make sure it's solid and doesn't drop when more current is drawn when transmitting etc. Datasheet for Groove says 10V minimum, but I think it will work below that.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:32 pm

When you cut the cable off the AC/DC power supply be sure to use a voltmeter to determine which wire goes to the center of the plug. This must connected to positive or you will burn out your Groove.