Community discussions

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Quectel EP06-E and wAP R ac (RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD)

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Well happy to report that a Quectel LTE EP06-E(RCM compliant) installed in a wAP ac(RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD) tested using ROS 6.45.1 works without the need to cut or tape pins on the card.
(I am testing with ALDI mobile(mdata.net.au APN, which uses Telstra Towers here in Australia ).
I used this to get to PPP working and LTE MODE TOO...

/port firmware
set ignore-directip-modem=yes
Reboot the Routerbord at this point
/port
set 0 name=usb1
/interface ppp-client
add apn=mdata.net.au data-channel=3 disabled=no info-channel=2 name=ppp-out1 port=usb1
------------------STATS---------------
[admin@MikroTik] > /system resource usb print
# DEVICE VENDOR NAME SPEED
0 1-0 Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd-ipq40xx xHCI Host Controller 480
1 2-0 Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd-ipq40xx xHCI Host Controller 5000
2 2-1 Quectel EP06-E 5000
[admin@MikroTik] > /system resource usb
[admin@MikroTik] /system resource usb> print detail
0 device="1-0" vendor="Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd-ipq40xx" name="xHCI Host Controller"
serial-number="xhci-hcd-ipq40xx.0" vendor-id="0x1d6b" device-id="0x0002" speed="480" ports=1
usb-version=" 2.00"

1 device="2-0" vendor="Linux 3.3.5 xhci-hcd-ipq40xx" name="xHCI Host Controller"
serial-number="xhci-hcd-ipq40xx.0" vendor-id="0x1d6b" device-id="0x0003" speed="5000" ports=1
usb-version=" 3.00"
--------------------------------------------------------
PPP_EP06.png
-----------------------------------------------------------
PPP_INFO.png
----------------------------------------------
So now I wanted to see how LTE mode on the card went.
Using the advice on https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Cellular ... _modems_01 I needed to update the card with the command : AT+QCFG="usbnet",1
There are two ways to do this I found.
My first way was to pull the EP06-E Card and install it in a USB to WWAN converter card( available cheaply on EBAY for a couple of $$ ).
UP06 AND USB ADAPTOR.jpg

From here I see I needed to install drivers.
driver.png
A google search returned drivers that I downloaded.
Windows Drivers.png
This got me to having the drivers loaded, and I could see the COM port I needed to talk to ( Quectel USB AT Port )
drivers loaded.png
So I decided to open it with Putty. Note the Speed /Parity and Flow Control.
CONNECT USING PUTTY.png
From there I added the command : AT+QCFG="usbnet",1
I also added the command AT&W to make sure it was saved( That said,experience saids I dont have to do that ).
I then pulled the card out of the adapter and installed it back into the wAP R.
After setting the unit booted I changed the System Port / Firmware and disabled "Ignore DirectIP Modem" I then REBOOTED.
I was presented with a new LTE interface. ( I had previously had a R11e-LTE in the unit(aka lte1), so it remembered that and presented lte2).
EP06 AS LTE2.png
I did some tests and noted that I now got a 192.168.225.0/24 interface IP address presented to me. Given PPP mode presented me with the actual IP address given to me by the ISP/Mobile provider.
Anyhow I wanted to go back to PPP mode, so instead of removing the card and putting it back into the PC USB adapter as before and typing AT+QCFG="usbnet",0
I decided to use the at-chat command :
convert back to ppp from lte.png
Note the use of the \ , which is an escape character for RouterOS's Terminal, in which I needed it to escape the " characters.

Anyhow I rebooted the Unit
Once it came back I changed the System Port / Firmware and ENABLED "Ignore DirectIP Modem" I then REBOOTED AGAIN.
The unit came back, this time missing the ppp. I suspect the unit was a bit shitty with me !
So I manually added PPP and put in the data channel / info channel data. The unit came back straight away.
So my next test was to put it back to LTE mode, but this time I was cheeky and the the "Modem Init" command to tell the EP06-E module to again change modes. This was my second way of putting the unit into LTE mode..

Convert from PPP to LTE mode.png
This worked a treat of course I had to reboot and change the System Port / Firmware and Enable "Ignore DirectIP Modem" I then REBOOTED AGAIN.

So this was my experience with this Card, seems to work great. I'd like to put in into my Mikrotik LtAP device with the full 3 antennas and see how it went. With just the two antenna I was pulling down >~40Mbps and I am a couple of KM's away from the local tower.

Anyhow, anyone playing with EP06-E or EC25-AU or AUT (both 06/25 RCM compliant) (have also had good experiences with that card module).

I also recommend doing a search for Quectel's QNavigator, if you have the card in a laptops micipcie slot or in a USB adaptor, its great program to have to edit/test things on the card
QNavigator.jpg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by killersoft on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIT, BIT, ITIL, CERT IV Electronics.

RogerWilco

Re: Quectel EP06 and wAP R ac (RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD)

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:16 am

Nice mate! Finding a modem that works with LTE and not PPP with B28 + Telstra is perfect.
I don't suppose you could tell me where in Australia you got the card and what firmware is on it?

What speeds you getting with the modem?

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am

Nice mate! Finding a modem that works with LTE and not PPP with B28 + Telstra is perfect.
I don't suppose you could tell me where in Australia you got the card and what firmware is on it?

What speeds you getting with the modem?
Hi. I picked up the EP06-E from ebay : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183849329623?ul_noapp=true
I picked up a EC25 from : https://wisp.net.au/
The EC25 is just as good, spec wise for Australia, and although only a CAT-4(speed wise), it has just 2x Antenna +1 antenna for GPS/GNSS.
The EP06(CAT-6) has 3x Antenna(although I only used 2x in my testing), where the 3rd antenna is a dual purpose diversity antenna 3g/4g/lte + GPS/GNSS.
In some of my playing around, I have found using multiple antennas positioned at various locations can greatly improve speed, so that's something else to tinker with !

I have used the EC25-AU on B28(700MHz) successfully (out bush in QLD !) . That said, if you install external antennas, consider that 700MHz generally requires a physically larger antenna(s) than all the rest of the bands for any useful dBi gain. You will also need to consider

Firmware version on the EP06-E:
[admin@MikroTik] /interface lte> at-chat lte2 input="AT+CGMR"
output: EP06ELAR03A06M4G
OK
AND
[admin@MikroTik] /interface lte>> at-chat lte2 input="ATI"
output: Quectel
EP06
Revision: EP06ELAR03A06M4G
OK
Last edited by killersoft on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RogerWilco

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 am

I'm using a MC7304 at the moment. Doesn't support B28 or CA so I'm not getting the best speeds from Telstra. Even with a MIMO antenna. Connecting with B3 (1800Mhz) only.
Can you do a quick speedtest.net or fast.com check with the EP06 modem? How far away in the bush are you in QLD? I'm 26km from my tower on the Mid North Coast up in the mountains.

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:41 pm

This is quite subjective, also to note is that the EP06-E is running on the default antenna's on my w AP R ac unit.
Also I am currently back in Victoria. I suspect that the B28 tower is at a different location to the other tower doing band 3&7!?
So B3 / B7 /B28 ..
BAND 3.png
BAND 7.png
BAND 28.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RogerWilco

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:14 am

Not bad if using the inbuilt antenna. I think I'll buy an EP06 modem. Cheers mate!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:11 am

I suspect that the B28 tower is at a different location to the other tower doing band 3&7!?

All 3 cells from different bands are run by the very same baseband hardware (same eNB ID). Which means that quite likely all 3 cells are located on the same tower. Quite likely because RF gear (DAC, power amplifier, antenna) is most often connected to the baseband hardware using fibre (can be copper DAC as well), the length of it can be anything between almost zero (to connect RF gear on top of tower with baseband in the weatherproof enclosure near by) to a few km (Ericsson has limitation of around 15 km - limit comes from the maximum allowed round-trip time between RF gear and baseband). Due to that such arrangement is rare in rural areas but quite common in dense urban areas with short inter-site distance.
BR,
Metod

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:36 am

Thanks mkx for the eNB ID info.

@RogerWilco Consider a EC25-AU as it is electrically more compatible(+RCM compliant) with most MT boards (usb 2) plus it also fully support all the AUS bands(like B28). See(about taping pins): https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Cellular ... _modems_01

That said, I suspect this compatibility issue is fixed in products like the wAP R ac (RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD), because it uses a chip that supports USB 3 :
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq4018

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MikroTik

UpRunTech
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Quectel EP06-E and wAP R ac (RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD)

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm

I have had luck with the Telit LE910C1-AP (Asia-Pac) which supports B28 too. It has RCM compliance and supports PPP which I have had working with the Mikrotik wAP-R. I have tried the other interface modes like RMNet, RNdis, MBIM and CDC-ECM but they don't seem to elicit a response - we'll have to wait for ROS7 for some of those. The module also supports GPS as well but I don't think I'll ever use it.

The LE910C1-AP is Cat1 but I had no problems maxing it out at 10Mbit down and 5Mbit up on Telstra. There are other faster Telit models but I have yet to try them. Contact https://www.glyn.com.au/ in Sydney or Melbourne if you want some Telit modules.