Community discussions

MikroTik App

DuncanCT
Topic Author

Electrical Problems Causing Failure

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:06 am

We are having a problem at a sing site. We have gone through a number of RB2011 in the last couple of weeks.

See photos of for damage.

Electricians have installed surge arresters. I sure this is a whole subject in itself and I don't know what spec was installed so might not be correctly spec'd.

And I understand that this does not completely isolate the device from the main but it has been connected to a UPS.

Could this damage result from something feeding back from one of the ethernet ports and not via the PSU?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karlisi

Re: Electrical Problems Causing Failure

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:44 am

Seems like something in network. RB2011 has external PSU which typically fails first on bad electricity.

Elans
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Do you see any burnt components in one of these areas (see attachment)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DuncanCT
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:18 pm

I have check all the units and the only visible damage is in the marked locations at the top of the attached image.

Could not see any damage near the ports.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

This does not look like failure from the typical surges that you could have from nearby inductive devices or a failing neutral in a 3-phase system.
This first affects the plug power supply which is the only thing in touch with the mains.
It looks more like lightning damage...

DuncanCT
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 pm

It's definitely not lightning. We don't get much of it here.

DuncanCT
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Any consensus if this is a problems on the power supply or network side?

All PSU have survived each failure, but by capacitor failure location I would assume it's coming from the PSU side?

Elans
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:13 am

All PSU have survived each failure, but by capacitor failure location I would assume it's coming from the PSU side?
From information you have provided, it looks like problem is in PSU (powering) side. Unfortunately, without full inspection we are unable to provide additional details. You may write to support@mikrotik.com and refer to this forum post for further investigation.

llag
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:50 am

is one (or more) port(s) connected to equipement that is on another power system? Ground differential could then cause nasty issues....

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:10 am

is one (or more) port(s) connected to equipement that is on another power system? Ground differential could then cause nasty issues....
Normally not, because the ethernet ports are isolated by little transformers that are spec'ed to allow a few kV of voltage differential between the equipment.
Of course this is different when shielded cable is used and the shield is connected at both ends, and also for other ports (serial, USB).

However, even when the entire unit is not at ground potential and is powered by the original supply, the isolation between mains and output in that supply should still protect it against voltage differentials in typical operation. It should also withstand more than a kV.
That is why I mention untypical voltages, like nearby lightning strikes. That can cause voltages that destroy everything.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:04 pm

This one looks more like high humidity of air! Also ionized humidity of air, like a close to beach air!