Community discussions

dfox1787
just joined
Topic Author

Advice for new Unit

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi guys

I have some very specific requiremetns for a new switch. I know i can buy one off the shelf but i really want to stick to mikrotik.

What Miktrotik unit would have the following:

wireless N
Gigabit ports
4 ports min but all must be POE for my cctv cameras.

Can anyone link me to a unit?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Advice for new Unit

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:54 pm

No such product exists. There are no Mikrotik devices with wireless and more then 1 PoE-out capable port at the same time. And even the wireless devices with a single PoE-out capable port only support Passive PoE-out, which almost guaranteed is not compatible with you cameras.

dfox1787
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:01 pm

No such product exists. There are no Mikrotik devices with wireless and more then 1 PoE-out capable port at the same time. And even the wireless devices with a single PoE-out capable port only support Passive PoE-out, which almost guaranteed is not compatible with you cameras.
Wow that surprises me to be honest. Mikrotik appears to be very versatile untill you want to network your home or office but have certain requirements for ports. Thank you for your reply.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jvanhambelgium
just joined

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:26 pm

I don't think your "off the shelf" will be that easy :D
The combination of PoE(+) on multiple ports , X amount of gigabit ports AND wireless is not easy to find!

Let me know if you find a single-box solution.

wrkq

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 am

Yeah, your best bet would be something like CRS112 (which does both the "budget" passive-POE and "true" 802.11af/at PoE/PoE+ as cameras would require) plus a separate wireless unit.
If you really need only 11n @ 2.4 there's plenty to choose from, although the smallest/cheapest (hAP lite / mAP lite) do not do PoE of any kind, but cAP lite runs off "true PoE" and is also quite low price.

dfox1787
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm

i currently have a hap lite rb941-2nd. So maybe a combination of a 8 port poe miktrotik and this would do the job for now. The hap lite could be powered by the switch.

Does the CRS112 do a 8 port POE?

wrkq

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:49 am

It's a bit more complicated - which I admittedly missed on the dealer's site I checked yesterday, sorry.
Check out the paragraph at top of the page. https://mikrotik.com/product/crs112_8p_4s_in

The switch It comes with a 24V PSU that powers the device and the MT-style passive-PoE, and you can do total of 2.8A of the 24V at all ports with max 1A per port. That's quite a plenty.
Then you can buy an additional 48V PSU (either 70W or 96W) for 802.3af/at PoE/PoE+ to power stuff like cameras and IP phones and plug it into a dedicated socket in parallel with the 24V.

The docs for hAP lite don't say anything about MT passive PoE input, only USB 5v input.
That's why I didn't recommend that one for purchase (didn't know you have it already).

Something you can use is a "PoE splitter", the reverse of injector. Takes a data+PoE signal from a switch and offers two cables, one ethernet and one power.
There are some variants ones meant for devices like Raspberry PI with already offer 5V output on a micro USB plug out of the box.
Others would have a barrel plug (typically 5/12V selectable) and would need another adapter.
Just pay attention to the specs - some can drain MT-style passive PoE, some do 802.3af standard (48V with smart negotiation).
I have 'bout a hundred of various types deployed to be able to use the PoE on/off option in managed switch for remote reset of flaky embedded hardware, and I'd lie to you if I'd say 100% of these splitters are 100% compatible with every switch and device :(