Community discussions

m8575
just joined
Topic Author

New Router

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 pm

My old router died thue to a heat stroke so I need to buy a new router. I had a RB750G and my network Connection is 500/500 but I'm going to upgrade to 1000/1000.

I have 3x high speeds computers thats need a switch chip or fast cpu to bridge the traffic.
1x ip-telephone
1x laptop (some times on Cable)

About 5-10 customs filewall rules.

I don't use it today but I want to connect from outside with ip-sec or openvpn with good speed. I don't sure what good enough speed is but at least 100-200 Mb/s would be nice.

So I need a router with > 5 Gb ports, firewall, dhcp, Nat, pass through, switch/bridge, encryption support, access Point with 2,4Ghz and hopefully 5Ghz.

I have looked at RB4011 with Wifi but I would prefer cheaper if thats overkill!

Any suggestions to what routerboard I should buy?
Is it better to have separate router and AC?

Anders

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: New Router

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

My old router died thue to a heat stroke so I need to buy a new router. I had a RB750G and my network Connection is 500/500 but I'm going to upgrade to 1000/1000.

I have 3x high speeds computers thats need a switch chip or fast cpu to bridge the traffic.
1x ip-telephone
1x laptop (some times on Cable)

About 5-10 customs filewall rules.

I don't use it today but I want to connect from outside with ip-sec or openvpn with good speed. I don't sure what good enough speed is but at least 100-200 Mb/s would be nice.

So I need a router with > 5 Gb ports, firewall, dhcp, Nat, pass through, switch/bridge, encryption support, access Point with 2,4Ghz and hopefully 5Ghz.

I have looked at RB4011 with Wifi but I would prefer cheaper if thats overkill!

Any suggestions to what routerboard I should buy?
Is it better to have separate router and AC?

Anders
If you go for a hAP ac^2 instead ( see comparison: https://mikrotik.com/products/compare/R ... acQ2HnD-IN ), you will have
  • one ethernet port less than you ask for (assuming ether1 is upstream, you would have 4, so either ip-phone or laptop plugged at the same time).
  • 2 chains instead of four, 867 Mbps max theoretical Wifi b/w at 5GHz, worse antennas if you have coverage issues
  • slower CPU for ipsec, but still reasonable for single user (241.7 Mbps 512b single tunnel vs 578.4)
  • if your 3 servers are talking a lot between them they will hog the ac^2 (maximum 1924.7 vs 9,473.6 Mbps "naked" bridging)
  • cheaper, smaller, less space and electric power
So I'd say:
  • consider hAP ac^2 alone only if you can live with one less ethernet port, and your servers don't chat too much between them
  • consider a hAP ac^2 plus a small switch like RB260GS if your servers are chatty between themselves, but require not so much internet bandwidth
  • consider something else like RB3011UiAS-RM (worse specs than RB4011) + cAP ac, but it will be more expensive than RB4011iGS with wifi
  • the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN that you quoted
I have never dealt with the RB3011-RB4011 series, only with the smallish 5 ports routers. I'm quite happy with the hAP ac^2 as a home router. I have two homes plus a few offices I'm managing with Mikrotik routers and legacy 24 port switches. Today I'd buy a hAP ac^2 for any home/small office I need to cover, plus a small switch if there is need. But it all depends on your expansion plans and traffic distribution.

m8575
just joined
Topic Author

Re: New Router

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I chosed a RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN so that I have all the Power and ports that I need.