Community discussions

Stinocon
just joined
Topic Author

High ambient temperature

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Good morning, everyone.
I have recently finalized my installation, I currently have in a closet these 2 objects:
-CCR1016-12G
-CRS326-24G-2S+RM

I live in Europe and, as you know, this summer has been disastrous in terms of temperatures.
The closet is small and narrow, let's say that it was not really designed to accommodate this type of network equipment, in fact there is no active ventilation... I started with some kind of devices and I ended up putting all this stuff. However, I did not think that the situation could become "so serious".
At the moment I don't have any stability problems or anything, I'm just wondering how much I can "pull the rope before it breaks".

The maximum temperature recorded by the router was 54°C (with the fan at more than 5000 RPM), it is currently at 41°C and I'm not too worried about that.
Speaking instead of the switch (SwOS) has a constant temperature of 74°C but in the hot season has reached 80°C.
Be careful, however, I have these temperatures with the door of the cabinet open and then the hot air can safely come out. When I close the door, the temperature usually rises by 5°C or more.

The question is, am I alarming about anything? Or should I start thinking about some kind of active ventilation for the whole closet?
I'd also be willing to add a small fan to the switch if that were enough.

If necessary, I can post a picture of the cabinet.
Thank you!

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: High ambient temperature

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Hotter air rises so a opening at the bottom and top could ventilate your closet. You can put ventilation hole(s) at bottom of the door if the slit between the door and floor is small.

Look if at the top of the closset is an escape for the hot air.

Active ventilation needed when passive is not enough.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=door+ventilat ... iax=images
Two RB760iGS (hEX S) in series. One does PPPoE and both do IKEv2.
Running:
RouterOS 6.46Beta / Winbox 3.19 / MikroTik APP 1.3.2
Having an Android device, use https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases (no root required)

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Both your devices are rated for the ambient temperature up to +60°C.

vodokotlic
just joined

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 am

Good morning, everyone.
I have recently finalized my installation, I currently have in a closet these 2 objects:
-CCR1016-12G
-CRS326-24G-2S+RM

The maximum temperature recorded by the router was 54°C (with the fan at more than 5000 RPM), it is currently at 41°C and I'm not too worried about that.
Speaking instead of the switch (SwOS) has a constant temperature of 74°C but in the hot season has reached 80°C.
Having both of these devices here are some insights:
CCR has a target CPU temp of 55C and is ramping the fan up to meet it. Mine is running around 3000rpm at 23C ambient.
CRS326 is allways above 70C at 23C ambient.

I'd say that it's all fine if you're not bothered by noise.

Stinocon
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Having both of these devices here are some insights:
CCR has a target CPU temp of 55C and is ramping the fan up to meet it. Mine is running around 3000rpm at 23C ambient.
CRS326 is allways above 70C at 23C ambient.

I'd say that it's all fine if you're not bothered by noise.
I apologize for the delay in answering.
Yes, noise is not a problem, also because you can only hear it if the closet is open, when it is closed the temperature increases by at least 2 or 3 degrees but you can't hear anything anymore.
Ideally I was thinking of inserting a fan on the bottom of the cabinet and install a grill so that a little hot air can still come out actively.
This trick would allow me (theoretically) to lower the temperature by a few degrees and at the same time keep the door closed.
However, I understand that these temperatures are still acceptable, especially considering the ambient temperature that is around 30 ° C (but inside the cabinet also reaches 44 ° C)

Stinocon
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Both your devices are rated for the ambient temperature up to +60°C.
The current temperature inside the cabinet is about 40°C with the doors open... Let's say that I still have 20°C of comfort before I can fear for the health of my equipment.
I understand that lower temperatures would be appreciable but at the moment it's all normal

Elans
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:39 am

Temperatures are normal for both devices. Obviously it would be "better" if there would be some kind of active cooling installed in your rack, but, if there are no such option, then ~40C ambient temperature is still comfortable for the devices.