Community discussions

geoj
just joined
Topic Author

PowerBox Pro power supply outdoor environment

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 pm

I am considering a PowerBox Pro for an outdoor environment. It will be mounted inside a waterproof enclosure however the temperatures will fluctuate from -2F - 110F. Will the included power supply be ok for this? I notice it says for indoor home use only. Also I need to power PoE cameras I assume I need to buy a 48v power supply? Is there a recommended one?

Thanks

RogerWilco

Re: PowerBox Pro power supply outdoor environment

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:00 am

According to the specs: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB960PGS-PB
12-57V passive PoE input + 12-57V DC input. If the 24V included power supply is inside a weatherproof box, I can't see that you'd have to much of an issue. 110F is only 43 Celsius and I have no trouble in these temps. -18 is a little chilly, but again, it should be okay if inside an enclosure.

krafg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:32 pm

You can power up your unit using PoE inyector included. Your power supply with the PoE inyector can be inside your house. PowerBox Pro is designed for outdoor environments and not need an enclosure.

I never used it to power on IP cameras but is possible that you need the 48v power supply. You have the 48POW power supply.

Regards.

Elans
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 am

Tested ambient temperature is from -40°C to 70°C.
If temperature range is from -20°C to +40°C, there should not be any problems.

Device PoE out support 802.3af/at standard, however, you will need 48V ... 57V PSU since Ethernet ports 2-5 can power other PoE capable devices with the same voltage as applied to the unit.
If you are planning to power PoE out devices in long distance, make sure you are using proper PSU (cable voltage drop).
If you will decide to power ~24V PoE-in devices, you will need RBGPOE-CON-HP to convert high voltage, to low voltage (as example, 48V -> 24V).
https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgpoe_con_hp