Community discussions

dimanov
just joined
Topic Author

Why Mikrotik block google translate

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 pm

The problem is this:
1. i have Mikrotik RB750Gr3 in LAN works as a gateway to the Internet.
2. Network have a access point Wi-Fi

Android clients connect to this point Wi Fi. This Point Wi Fi use Mikrotik as gateway.
So these clients do not have voice pronunciation (when you click on the speaker icon in the application). If the client is switched to the mobile network, then the pronunciation works.
The Google Translator application gives an error that there is no Internet connection.
If client use google translate via browser (go to translate.google.com), then the pronunciation works.

PS: Sorry for my English, i use google translate

synth
just joined

Re: Why Mikrotik block google translate

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm

I never heard about Mikrotik-Devices spontaneously blocking specific Services. Maybe check your DNS-Settings for the Wireless devices and try another DNS-Server?

dimanov
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for reply!
I changed DNS Servers in the Access Point to the Google DNS (8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8), but the problem don't solved(

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:26 pm

Mikrotik doesn't block Google Translate, or any other service for that matter.
All RouterOS does, is route packets from one network to another, according to however you configure the device to do so.
It doesn't take it on itself to decide whether you should be able to access a webservice or not.

If some webservice doesn't work, then it's probably due to bad configuration on your part (assuming that your ISP doesn't do any funky stuff with your traffic).

So you should start by posting your configuration
/export hide-sensitive

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Sounds like very weird bug and something out of MIkrotik control...

To debug, run sniffer on wlan interface in Mikrotik router, forwarding all packets to PC where you are running wireshark. Then try to use translate on a phone a see what's going on.
Are packets blocked? do they reach google servers? look for SYN/RST/ACK packets and troubleshoot it that way...

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:51 pm

Do you use layer7 matcher in firewall? Maybe some string there matches a part of a language name from the translate menu.

dimanov
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:12 am

Mikrotik doesn't block Google Translate, or any other service for that matter.
All RouterOS does, is route packets from one network to another, according to however you configure the device to do so.
It doesn't take it on itself to decide whether you should be able to access a webservice or not.

If some webservice doesn't work, then it's probably due to bad configuration on your part (assuming that your ISP doesn't do any funky stuff with your traffic).

So you should start by posting your configuration
/export hide-sensitive
Cha0s thanks.
Here is my config.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dimanov
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:13 am

Sounds like very weird bug and something out of MIkrotik control...

To debug, run sniffer on wlan interface in Mikrotik router, forwarding all packets to PC where you are running wireshark. Then try to use translate on a phone a see what's going on.
Are packets blocked? do they reach google servers? look for SYN/RST/ACK packets and troubleshoot it that way...
ОК
I try it.

dimanov
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 am

Do you use layer7 matcher in firewall? Maybe some string there matches a part of a language name from the translate menu.
Yes i use. I block youtube traffic with layer7 matcher
I tried disable this rule and application Google Translate is work fine.

How can i block youtube and don't block Google Translate application?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 am

You can not. Google and Youtube are the same company, use the same servers and services.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:26 pm

All these topics about blocking this, blocking that, not blocking something else...
No, you can't block websites selectively anymore. Get over it.

If you really need to, you have to go the "total big brother" route: HTTPS proxy that decrypts and inspects all traffic,
but then you have to have your own certificates on all devices.

But if you want to do this on a hotspot or semi-public AP... just don't. Don't be that evil.
There are other tools in your disposal: QOS the clients, use parameters like burst time to give short connections more BW than long downloads etc.