Community discussions

MikroTik App

Brko
just joined
Topic Author

RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN PoE problem

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi,

i own a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and i am trying to hook up an IP camera to the PoE port 10.
The camera that i am trying to connect is Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I but for some reason its not working.
its a 12V camera so it should be working but it isnt.

I could rly use some help.

Thank you

romihg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN PoE problem

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 am

RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN are 2 versions. One is without POE on 10 port.
And this one have POE

Do you see the little difference? Let me show you. Yellow colour on port 10

One difference is in power cable. On first one is pluged in inside of router on second one is normal plug outside.

And yes POE sometimes you must force on.

How long is your cable? Pay attention on power supply, original on rb2011 is 24v so you will get 24 V on POE port

wrkq

Re: RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN PoE problem

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:45 am

Hi.
TL;DR: won't work.

The "12V" mention on the Hikvision camera refers to its external power connector only.
It uses "standard PoE" (802.3af) for powering via ethernet cable.
This runs on 48V and comes with a complex negotiation dance that must be supported by smart-PoE chips in the networking device.
Upside of that is that it's plug and play and won't damage a device with unexpected voltage.

Mikrotik (and Ubiquiti, and others in the market segment) do something they tend to call "passive PoE".
There you manually enable a setting on a port, and it just puts the input voltage from the power supply (typically 24V) on two of the wires in the network cable.
The receiving device (such as an AP) must be designed for the particular flavor and voltage of passive PoE provided, and incompatible device will not work (or in some rare cases, fail).

A few models of Mikrotik devices do offer "standards compliant" PoE and/or PoE+ (802.3af / 802.3at) but it's both rare and clearly marked (MT seems to have settled on yellow ports for 24V passive, orange for 48V 802.3*).
One I knew of was the CRS328-24P-4S+RM switch.
The CRS112-8P-4S-IN appears to be another one, but interestingly enough while the main part of the switch and the "passive PoE" run off included 24V power supply, you need to buy additional optional 48V power supply and hook it next to the 24V one to feed the PoE+ ports.