Community discussions

MikroTik App

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

hAP AC2 for home use

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Good afternoon

My WISP has supplied me a Mikrotik router but this is a very restricted version with most software options hidden..

I know I can use any cable connection router as it replaced a standard T P Link unit.. If I purchase the hAP AC2 router from a stockist should this work "out of the box" and connect to the internet once I enter my ppoe username and password as the WISP have supplied?

They have advised me against buying a Mikrotik as these are supplied blank and need fully configuring .. but the product information on the website states "pre-configured"

As I say I know any router will work and they advised if I do not want to use there Mikrotik to buy another T P Link.. I do like the compact design of the AC2

Thanks

Stuart

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP AC2 for home use

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi

Does that Mikrotik remain ISP's property?

Panbambaryla
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi,

I am using this device at home and for simple WAN configuration it works out of the box. In my case I've had to define an extra VLAN for WAN and after that PPPoE just on top of that .

Best, Bam

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi

Does that Mikrotik remain ISP's property?
The router they sent me is there property I suppose, they just sent me it free of charge to replace the T P Link I had to see if the was an issue but I never used it.. The T P Link came from them a few years ago but was a standard off the shelf router,

I have told them I am going to buy my own Mikrotik hAP AC2 unit :) they are OK with me using any router, just advised against the Mikrotik as it needs more setting up than any other make ,,, not sure if that is correct..

Stuart
Last edited by stuarttunstall on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi,

I am using this device at home and for simple WAN configuration it works out of the box. In my case I've had to define an extra VLAN for WAN and after that PPPoE just on top of that .

Best, Bam
Thank you :) I do have the PPPoE username and password so should that be all i need to enter?

I know that they made a change to the T P Link router a few months back when they changed it to used the PPPoE setting and changed the way the set up was, again to fix a minor issue I had but until then it was just a standard T P Link router..

I have told them I am going to buy my own Mikrotik hAP AC2 unit :) they are OK with me using any router I purchase, just advised against the Mikrotik as it needs more setting up than any other make ,,, not sure if that is correct..

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:50 pm

Just noticed the one they supply is the hAP AC Lite... Is the hAP AC2 the same thing just better specification? From what I read it looks the same apart from the specification.

One supplier I looked at has the AC2 as an access point? I have been told by the same company and my ISP these are supplied blank and need configuring but Mikrotik state different :)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Just noticed the one they supply is the hAP AC Lite... Is the hAP AC2 the same thing just better specification? From what I read it looks the same apart from the specification.

One supplier I looked at has the AC2 as an access point? I have been told by the same company and my ISP these are supplied blank and need configuring but Mikrotik state different :)
Yes, hAP AC2 is better than hAP AC Lite.

Mikrotik doesn't limits what You can do with their products. Only limitations are due to hardware used (what is capable of). There is no artificial restriction.

Your hAP AC2: It can be used "out of the box" as a SOHO internet router, with an AP (two, in fact: one at 2,4GHz and another at 5GHz) and doing NAT. That's what You want, right? If so, only minimal setup is needed (PPPoE user, wireless password, these kind of things).

BUT, one could (if desired) use the same unit as:

1) A router connecting 4 different networks to the internet, with 2 Access Points
2) A router with 2 (or 3 or 4) Internet connections, working as fail over OR load balancing
3) A BGP router, to a small network, connected to 7 different networks (its 5 ethernet ports plus its 2 wireless network interfaces)

The list just goes on and on. I believe that is the root of their advice: It is really easy to create all sort of problems, through misconfiguration, with an unlocked Mikrotik. It is harder to do this with a TP-Link, as it comes already locked down.

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Thank you ..

The ISP and one of the supplies say they are "blank" then I ask Mikrotik Support and they say once I add a few things it works out the box... Confused lol

hAP devices come with "AP Router" configuration:
This type of configuration is applied to home access point routers to be used straight out of the box without additional configuration (except router passwords and wireless keys)

Our devices offer lot of flexibility and with that comes also some complexity, and general networking knowledge is recommended, but if your setup is simple then it can also be as simple as connecting Ethernet cable. You can find help in wiki.mikrotik.com, and forum.mikrotik.com

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Thank you ..

The ISP and one of the supplies say they are "blank" then I ask Mikrotik Support and they say once I add a few things it works out the box... Confused lol

This type of configuration is applied to home access point routers to be used straight out of the box without additional configuration (except router passwords and wireless keys)

Our devices offer lot of flexibility and with that comes also some complexity, and general networking knowledge is recommended, but if your setup is simple then it can also be as simple as connecting Ethernet cable. You can find help in wiki.mikrotik.com, and forum.mikrotik.com
I'd say both are right. They come "blank" in a sense: no system password, no WiFi password, no country selected to the WiFi...
At the same time, they come working "out of the box": They have the needed firewall rules, they have both WiFi enabled, they will give IP addresses to anyone connecting on them and they will do DNS queries - so anyone connected on them will have Internet.

This on the SOHO line (hAP AC2).

The Pro line come blank indeed - barely one IP configured, and the rest is up to the user.

So.

1) Get the hAP AC2
2) Plug Your desktop on it (ports 2 through 5)
3) Turn on the router (do NOT plug it on the Internet yet)
4) Log in it through web browser (User: admin, the password is blank)
5) At least, put a password to the admin user.
6) Configure your WiFi (password, crypto used, country, SSiD)
7) Verify that everything is ok.
8) Plug the ISP cable
9) Configure the internet (user, password)
10) Upgrade the firmware (system -> packages). It is a good idea to do a export first.
11) Done. :D

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you ..

I'd say both are right. They come "blank" in a sense: no system password, no WiFi password, no country selected to the WiFi...
At the same time, they come working "out of the box": They have the needed firewall rules, they have both WiFi enabled, they will give IP addresses to anyone connecting on them and they will do DNS queries - so anyone connected on them will have Internet.

This on the SOHO line (hAP AC2).

The Pro line come blank indeed - barely one IP configured, and the rest is up to the user.

So.

1) Get the hAP AC2
2) Plug Your desktop on it (ports 2 through 5)
3) Turn on the router (do NOT plug it on the Internet yet)
4) Log in it through web browser (User: admin, the password is blank)
5) At least, put a password to the admin user.
6) Configure your WiFi (password, crypto used, country, SSiD)
7) Verify that everything is ok.
8) Plug the ISP cable
9) Configure the internet (user, password)
10) Upgrade the firmware (system -> packages). It is a good idea to do a export first.
11) Done. :D
Excellent, thank you that make sense that is basically what Mikrotik said :)

Will give t some thought now and may order one :) I must say I do like the compact size of the hAP AC Lite they sent..

The main reason is they restrict access.. This is all I see in RouterOS
My menu.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Will give t some thought now and may order one :) I must say I do like the compact size of the hAP AC Lite they sent..

My menu.JPG
But do You need more than this? I mean, you do seem to have access to firewall, wifi and LAN. If You want something more, by all means buy one. Otherwise, why not use it? It is already there! :D

stuarttunstall
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 am

My menu.JPG
But do You need more than this? I mean, you do seem to have access to firewall, wifi and LAN. If You want something more, by all means buy one. Otherwise, why not use it? It is already there! :D
Hi

I am already using the router supplied by my ISP, it was more to test it see if it was better than my at least 4 year old T P Link and so far I am impressed, seems to work well and a nice discreet/compact design ..

I suppose I do not really need anything at all in the menu options as it stands, I just do not like the fact that they restrict it for no reason really after all the T P Link was just an "off the shelf" router with nothing altered or restricted, and any cable type router will work OK.. just need to add the PPPoE settings ..

I just like to get the full package, to see what the full potential of the router is, it is not a major issue, just me being fussy lol.. Plus it is still using an old version of RouterOS and I cannot keep it up to date as the "check for updates" button is disabled... :(

Stuart

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm

I just like to get the full package, to see what the full potential of the router is, it is not a major issue, just me being fussy lol.. Plus it is still using an old version of RouterOS and I cannot keep it up to date as the "check for updates" button is disabled... :(

Stuart
[/quote]

Now, THAT is a good reason to buy one!