Community discussions

Hoov
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Routerboard and Memory

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 am

I have an RB750gr3 that is running The Dude. The Dude is using a MicroSD card for storage, and I have tons of space on it. But the memory in the RB750 only has something like 14% free space, and it is slowly filling up. I am assuming that it is the data from the Queue that is causing the issue. Is there any way to have Router OS use the SD card instead of internal memory? Even just putting the queue data onto the SD card would probably do the trick.

Hoov
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Routerboard and Memory

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Now I am really confused. I am using Zabbix to monitor a network. This RB750 is the first device past the fiber modem. It stands between the network and the internet. It self reports that it has 13% of the memory is free. But then I have zabbix telling me two different things. First that the memory is 86.3% full (that pretty much agree's with the Rb750) but then there is another warning that it is 100% full.

Is there anyway to get into the RB750 and look and see what is being stored? I have tried an FTP program and all it shows me is the folders.

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 pm

It's not possible to see actual filesystem from MIkrotik itself and there is no tool that would tell you flash usage by different parts of the system either.
Only way around this is to network boot OpenWRT and then you can mount the RouterOS filesystem to see what's actually going on...
And no, sadly you can't move and run RouterOS from SD card, that's not supported either.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Do you know the difference between memory and hdd space?

Hoov
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 am

Do you know the difference between memory and hdd space?
Yes I do, but Mikrotik seems to blur the line when using memory as drive space. For instance, if it were really just memory, when I rebooted, it would erase itself fully. But it does not. Only parts of it erases itself, like any data from the queue or any data on how the firewall rules were enforced. Other parts that you can get to are not erased, like any logs that you save to disk.

So parts are volatile, parts are not. If it were HDD space, I should be able to see the file structure. If it were memory, then why show ANY of the file list. If it were Hard drive I could extend it with a micro SD card. If it were memory, I could extend it with a micro SD card.

This is why I ask questions, I am trying to figure out what it really is, and how it is treated by Mikrotik. What i really sounds like is they are treating it like a SSD, but are blocking access to it, but part of it is a volatile memory. Mikrotik is going back and forth with functions and terminology. If you have it figured out so nicely, then please explain it to use mere mortals.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:36 am

You can see the file space under the Files menu. When you add a disk like that a folder will show up with a name like "Disk1" and inside that are the subfolders and files used by Dude.
The memory of course is never completely empty, at least not when you can look. It starts empty but by the time the system has fully booted and you have logged in, always some memory has been claimed for all kinds of things. And when you run Dude it will be more than when you run a plain router.
When you look under System->Resources you clearly see separate figures for memory and HDD space (free and total space).