Community discussions

MikroTik App

noideawhatimdoing
just joined
Topic Author

Well, i have no idea what i need

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello all!

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this, and currently in a bit of a hurry, so sorry if it is a stupid question. (Well, it is.:D)

Currently I manage 2 places (roughly 20 kms apart), and they both have VPNs, and those VPNs are connected together. The problem is, it was done by an other guy, a few years back, and the owners don't really know any passwords, and they badly need a hardware upgrade.

-1st place is in the middle of the city, no real problem there, I just need a new router. (Possibly a Mikrotik one, the previous one was that as well, but pretty old, but it's doable, even for me.)
-2nd place is in the middle of nowhere, and the room where a server is, is pretty much hidden. Currently it has a shitty big-ass laser-cannon thingy on the top (,with the astounding speed of even-speedtest-doesn't-want-to-load,) and It is connected to the server room via a normal ethernet cable, then there is a router there, and that "provides" the network there.

So, we need an update.
Most of it is easy, just get 2 newer routers, capable of providing a VPN (PPTP, or preferably OpenVPN), and they should be able to do a tunnel between each other.

The problem is with the second place, with the new access point/router/modem, I don't really know.:S
Since it's in the middle of nowhere, we plan to get one capable of using a 4g/LTE sim card (massive improvement compared to the one now), and I seen a lot of these, just not sure if they are exactly good for this.
So, what it needs is being able to do the following things:
-Use a sim card. (That's easy, I can check that as well:D).
-Allow PPTP or OpenVPN passhtrough.
-Allow some kind of tunnel passthrough. (I think it's IPSec, but that is the only one I know.)
-Be able to do some kind of port forwarding. (The second place has a server, with a website on it, which should be reached via an IP adress, so the SIM-router should forward everyting coming to port 80 to the inside router, and that should forward it towards the server, and the same thing backward. I think, if there is anything easier, then that's fine by me.)

So yes, and I cheked a few routers/modems/thingies, just not sure if they can all do this, or not. (Previously we tried to change the city router, with a router which should've been capable of doing it, but on the retailer's website it said it is capable of IPSec, while in reality it was only capable of passing it through. So now, I'd like to make sure before buying something again, unnecessarily.)

Now I think the
-LtAP mini LTE kit - https://mikrotik.com/product/ltap_mini_lte_kit
- NetMetal 5 - https://mikrotik.com/product/RB922UAGS-5HPacD-NM
would be both fine, but I'm not really sure, because the only thing I find is: check the forums, or the RouterOS wiki.
Well, unless all Mikrotik products are capable of doing the same (software) things, I'm not really sure if they would work.

Sorry for the long and...well retarded letter, but I couldn't think of a better one.:S

Thanks all, in advance.:)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Well, i have no idea what i need  [SOLVED]

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:50 pm

When it comes to functionality, all Mikrotik devices are capabke of doing the same. Well, almost all, one can't realistically expect a $30 drvice to do some complex tasks such as BGP peering.
The difference is in capacity obviously and hardware capabilities (not every Routerboard can use USB LTE stick).

noideawhatimdoing
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Well, i have no idea what i need

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:57 pm

When it comes to functionality, all Mikrotik devices are capabke of doing the same. Well, almost all, one can't realistically expect a $30 drvice to do some complex tasks such as BGP peering.
The difference is in capacity obviously and hardware capabilities (not every Routerboard can use USB LTE stick).

So those models should be fine (they don't need to do much, just be a bit better than some 10+ year old models).

Thanks for the fast answer,and have a nice day.:)