Community discussions

MikroTik App

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

How to use RBGESP?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 am

Hello. I'd like to install outdoor router behind window and power it using PoE. What should I do to protect my home equipment against consequences of router being hit by lightning? (I mean how should i isolate home electrical circuit from lightning being carried over ethernet). Is RBGESP working with PoE?

If I were to use RBGESP I assume I should put it outside together with outdoor router right? Or inside?
drawing.png
Which one of those is proper way to connect RBGESP? (red cable is that short RBGESP tail)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lapsio on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Outdoor ethernet - lightning protection?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:44 am

According to the manual : PoE supportYes, IEEE 802af/at
I guess it will work with passive as well...

modsx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to use RBGESP?

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:31 am

I would not allow the discharge through the cable screen to reach the RB. The external screen of the wires is usually grounded (if long, then in stages), but the last stage should not be used, if only for the inner core screen. But MT will not make such solutions, it is not carrier grade (even an RBGESP wire looks indoor and it would be foolish to put it outside and also this level of lightning protection will not protect, if only from indirect impact field), but it can be done by themselves, even through a patch panels, couplers, etc. The key is also to provide the right wiring.
Such a solution should be marketed to aunts in the market.