Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

marianoarm
just joined
Topic Author

RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD ports and power issue

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Hello, I just recently acquired an RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD and quite glad about the product functionality, however I observed some specific behaviour related to the ports and power that seems abnormal.

The router will not power on unless eth0 port (first rj-45 port) has a cable connected to it to a device.
Is this how system should work, requires a cable loopback on the WAN port or otherwise won't power on?

Moreover, when placing an SFP+, the system becomes very unstable in terms of power, connecting UPT cables (not shielded) into the first 5 ports will randomly power down the router.

Also when disconnecting eth1 (second port) and using WLAN, the system will power down after few minutes.

It appears that there could be a short circuit between the first 5 PoE ports and the SFP+ port and wonder if this is behaivour is a hardware malfunction or is a know issue of this unit.

Now, while base-T ports 1 and 2 are cabled the system seems to be stable, but removing either cable would translate in a system power-off for the first port and a random power-off for second port.

inteq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD ports and power issue

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 pm

The unit does not have the 1st 5 ports with PoE support. Only ether10 provides PoE out.
I am thinking you are using an additional PoE capable switch that somehow does not negotiate power delivery as it should and it is causing the reboots. Just a guess.
RB4011iGS does not have a WAN port. Any port can be anything.
It does not require link on ether1.

My guess: check your power outlet for proper grounding and contact. If everything checks out, test the power brick on RB4011iGS with a multi-meter.
Also, check if you have any scripts that might cause this in System/Scripts. Maybe someone pranked you.