Community discussions

MikroTik App

nebulaosx
just joined
Topic Author

FTTH Speed Issue

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi everybody.
I hope that someone will be able to help me. I have a FTTH 1Gbps Vodafone line. So, after have decided to put my Vodafone station away, I bought a Mikrotik router (RB760iGS), that I use as primary router, direclty connected, by LAN/WAN, to my ONT terminal (Huawei HG8010H). Anyway, the Vodafone station is still connected in the mikrotik as secondary router, in order to keep using the phone line.

The problem is: if I perform a speedtest, the values are 250Mbps (Down) and 200Mbps (Up)

But if I connect the Vodafone Station as primary router and the mikrotik as secondary one, the values strongly change: 890Mbps (Down) and 200Mbps (Up)

Why this huge different ? Is it a problem in the mikrotik config ? Or should I lose my hope, because without using the ISP router, I never won't reach that speed ?

Thank you to anyone will reply

Kevo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: FTTH Speed Issue

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:16 am

Are you using fast track? What is the cpu usage on the router when performing the speed test?

nebulaosx
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't using that function. Following a guide on mikrotik wiki, I managed to unlock my full bandwidth.
Just a question: I never heard about that function. What does it work? And using that function, is there some "collateral effect" ?

Anyway, during the speedtest, cpu usage are: about 50-60% (cpu0), 40-45% (cpu1), 20-25% (cpu")

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:42 pm

I wrote two ways of explainations in this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=157011

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't using that function.

Default config on your hEX S has fasttrack enabled. The only way you lost it is that you reconfigured device (firewall filter rules in particular) ... which is not really recommended if person doing it doesn't know well what he's doing. Default config in recent (say since last two years) ROS versions is pretty good.
Or if device came with pretty old ROS in which case it's highly advisable to upgrade ROS to latest versions (at least "long term" of not "stable"), reset to factory defaults and carefully change config to match needs.

BTW, collateral effect is that some advanced functions (such as rate limiting) don't work with fasttrack enabled. It doesn't hurt device security though.

mtnewtimer
just joined

Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:01 pm

Hey @nebulaosx

I have the same issue, can you please let me know the url of the wifi page that you used to unlock your full bandwidth? Thanks