Community discussions

MikroTik App

anrodse
just joined
Topic Author

Router with output poe wan port

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:29 pm

I've got two houses connected by two PoE powered antennas.

First house antenna is connected to a lan port of a router with a PoE inyector. The second house antenna is connected to the wan port of a router, also using a PoE inyector. The second building has its own subnet and wifi is used there. I don't mind to remove subnet but WiFi is necessary.

Now I want to replace the second house router and I wonder: Is there any router with a PoE port that can power the antenna? I'd like to remove this PoE inyector if possible.
Presentación1.jpg
This is an schema of what I have right now. I want to replace router and PoE inyector by another router which can power antenna. Why? Less cable, less devices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Router with output poe wan port

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 am

Which vendor (and model) of "antenna"? Which PoE standard does it use (802.3af/at or is it some "passive PoE")?

anrodse
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 am

Which vendor (and model) of "antenna"?
Antenna is a LiteBeam 5AC Gen2 from Ubiquiti. The antenna includes its own poe inyector.
Which PoE standard does it use (802.3af/at or is it some "passive PoE")?
From antenna datasheet: "24V, 0.3A Gigabit PoE Adapter (Included)", "Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return)"

I forgot to metion antenna delivers up to 450+ Mbps, so I need it all to be gigabit.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 pm

anrodse
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi honzam, - I've seen those routers but it looks like they have a PoE in wan port and I want it to have a PoE out wan port. What I want is to use the router to supply power for the antenna, which has to be connected to WAN port.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:12 pm

On routerboards logical functionality of ports is not "burned in", unit can be reconfigured to use e.g. ether1 as LAN port and ether5 (or any other) as WAN port.

Only physical properties (e.g. PoE out) are fixed to ports.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:21 pm

hAP ac has PoE-in (ether1) and PoE-out (ether5) , hEX poE has PoE-in (ether1) and many PoE-out (ether2-5)

What ether port is WAN or not, is totally up to the configuration you make. You are totally free on the function of the ethernet port.
If you want PoE out on your WAN port, use ether5 as your WAN.
The printed "internet" label on port ether1 is just something on the box, not something internal.

anrodse
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am

I had no idea I could use any port as wan/lan. I'm not an expert in networks.

What I'm sure is that cheapest routers don't allow you to do that. You cannot set a different IP interfacez for each port. They have 1 specific port for WAN and a set of ports for only one different network (lan).

Thank for your anwsers.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:15 am

Connect via ether2,. And in the config set ether5 where there was ether1, and ether1 where there was ether5. .... Interface list, bridge ports, dhcp client, ... And may be some other place I forgot. Hap lite is may be cheap, but it is a Mikrotik, and as such very versatile!

But your needed config is probably not WAN/LAN but LAN/LAN (all is LAN: local area network), so only use LAN functionality . If you just don't use ether1 , then only disabling the DHCP server on the bridge could be enough.as configuration change.

owenrules
just joined

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I had a problem with my router but you help me to find a solve for it.

outlaw1985
just joined

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:58 am

Yes, if you reconfigure the AirPort Extreme as a bridge ALL ports (WAN or LAN) will become Ethernet ports as it is now performing as an Ethernet switch. User profile for user: Joe P. Joe P. ... Configured as a bridge, the AEBS would perform, not as a router, but as a combination Ethernet switch & Wireless Access Point.