Community discussions

MikroTik App

clueluzz
Topic Author

Which CCR? Need Advice / Recommendation

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi,

I am looking to get a new Router for my new smart home where I plan to separate all IoTs, computers and guests using VLAN. I want this router to:
- provide IP for a minimal 500 clients (there are almost 250 smart bulbs alone in this house, not to mention smart plugs, etc)
- 1G fiber internet to be shared to all clients in the house.
- all internal computers on a private network and internet access without VPN
- all IoTs (lights, smart switches, appliances, cctv, etc.) on their own network that can access the internet but cannot access internal computers
- all streaming players (Roku, Apple TV, Android TV) can access the internet using VPN services such as ExpressVPN.
- using a Synology 12bay server with 20Gbps link aggregation for editing videos, and backing up data to 4 clients.

Should I get the CCR1036-8G-2S+EM or CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+? I know it’s a jump but considering the CCR1016 that has an SPF+ port is only the CCR1016-12S-1S+, the CCR1016-12G is not an option for me.

Please advise.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Which CCR? Need Advice / Recommendation

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:14 pm

For 1G and IP address you need, 1009 is ok

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 am

Hi,

I am looking to get a new Router for my new smart home where I plan to separate all IoTs, computers and guests using VLAN. I want this router to:
- provide IP for a minimal 500 clients (there are almost 250 smart bulbs alone in this house, not to mention smart plugs, etc)
- 1G fiber internet to be shared to all clients in the house.
- all internal computers on a private network and internet access without VPN
- all IoTs (lights, smart switches, appliances, cctv, etc.) on their own network that can access the internet but cannot access internal computers
- all streaming players (Roku, Apple TV, Android TV) can access the internet using VPN services such as ExpressVPN.
- using a Synology 12bay server with 20Gbps link aggregation for editing videos, and backing up data to 4 clients.

Should I get the CCR1036-8G-2S+EM or CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+? I know it’s a jump but considering the CCR1016 that has an SPF+ port is only the CCR1016-12S-1S+, the CCR1016-12G is not an option for me.

Please advise.
Why you don't consider a smaller CCR, like 1009 plus a switch with all the SPF+ you need for server and clients? The 20 Gbps is only for LAN anyway.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:40 am

Why you don't consider a smaller CCR, like 1009 plus a switch with all the SPF+ you need for server and clients? The 20 Gbps is only for LAN anyway.
@LSan83, so the router will not affect the traffic of the switch of 10G (and/or above) traffic? If that’s the case, then I would definitely opt to get the CCR1009 instead of going overkill to CCR1036. Can you (or anyone) please help confirm this?

I was concerned that I had to get a higher spec router in order to handle that kind of traffic. I would only opt to get the CCR1036 if I needed a second SPF+ port or if ever there was an internet service for home that can provide 10G (and/or above) service and I would connect one SPF+ to the internet and the other SPF+ to the switch :D

Looking forward to hearing from you

mbovenka

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:49 pm

@LSan83, so the router will not affect the traffic of the switch of 10G (and/or above) traffic? If that’s the case, then I would definitely opt to get the CCR1009 instead of going overkill to CCR1036. Can you (or anyone) please help confirm this?

No, it won't. Looking at what you need, you might even consider a RB4011 (+ CRS305 or CRS309 for the 10G ports). Connect your 4011, video editors and NAS to the CRS at 10G (with NAS and editors in the same VLAN), everthing else to the RB4011's Gig ports, and configure VLANs to taste. Make the 10G uplink port on the 4011 a router-on-a-stick between the different VLANs (and internet), and you have 7.5Gbps of inter-VLAN and to-Internet routing, and your video editors and NAS can communicate at wire speed through the CRS.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Make the 10G uplink port on the 4011 a router-on-a-stick between the different VLANs (and internet), and you have 7.5Gbps of inter-VLAN and to-Internet routing, and your video editors and NAS can communicate at wire speed through the CRS.
Thanks @mbovenka. Since this technically solves my problem, would using a CCR1009 have a faster inter-VLAN and to-Internet routing since you mentioned 4011 will have 7.5Gbps? Or am I misunderstanding this and it would be the same in CCR1009?

Also, why would one choose a CCR1009 over the RB4011? Is it becoz it has a better CPU? Are they abilities that the CCR has over the RB?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:14 pm

On a side note, you are going to have a lot of fun getting everything to work stable once separated...eg. your media-app on your Wifi mobile on SSID-X / VLANX that wants to interact with some media-player/iot device in VLAN-Y to play music, video etc.
mDNS, Bonjour, ... all these protocol never designed to operate outside a single IP-space / LAN required some serious help to get them working.
I would worry more about a very stable Wifi-network with so many low-end clients polluting your spectrum. HomeAutomation using Wifi is no something I would deploy, and certainly not on a larger scale like your use-case here.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:22 pm

@jvanhambelgium, r u suggesting I go with a consumer router? As it is right now, my ASUS AX-11000 cannot handle more than 253 clients (according to the box and manual). Unless I rethink the entire smart home automation (and I’m making sure as much of it is wired instead of WiFi dependant), I’m kinda stuck in limbo to fix this problem.

mbovenka

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks @mbovenka. Since this technically solves my problem, would using a CCR1009 have a faster inter-VLAN and to-Internet routing since you mentioned 4011 will have 7.5Gbps? Or am I misunderstanding this and it would be the same in CCR1009?

Also, why would one choose a CCR1009 over the RB4011? Is it becoz it has a better CPU? Are they abilities that the CCR has over the RB?

The CCR would probably be able to fill the 10G port completely. Why you might want a CCR1009 over a RB4011? That's actually a pretty good question. It's faster than the RB4011, although the difference isn't as big as you might think, looking at the test results. When they're doing nothing but routing full size packets from A to B, the CCR is 50% faster, but that difference goes down quickly when you start loading them with other tasks like firewalling. It has more RAM, but unless you have multiple full BGP feeds that matters little, and as long it has adequate RAM for it, the 4011 probably will converge faster, as BGP is a singe-threaded process in RouterOS and the cores of a 4011 are more powerful than those of a 1009.

The RB4011 is pretty awesome, certainly for its price.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks again @mbovenka.

I think I’ll invest in the CCR1009 for longevity so that it can grow with me longer term if I scale up my network in the future. But it’s great to know that the RB4011 can answer a lot of needs and I might use it in a smaller scale setup.

Time to order :D

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:45 pm

@jvanhambelgium, r u suggesting I go with a consumer router? As it is right now, my ASUS AX-11000 cannot handle more than 253 clients (according to the box and manual). Unless I rethink the entire smart home automation (and I’m making sure as much of it is wired instead of WiFi dependant), I’m kinda stuck in limbo to fix this problem.
No, a CCR will do the job. Indeed consumer routers often have a "fixed" LAN range-prefix (/24) so often limited to 253 IP's that the DHCP can hand out.
From your writing I assumed many of the "smart bulbs" and "sockets" effectively are WIRELESS clients operating in the Wifi 2.4Ghz band. Unless you have some "consolidation gateways" (with wired Ethernet port) to which the various bulbs & sockets talk.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:58 pm

@jvanhambelgium, I have tried changing the subnet mask in my ASUS to 255.255.254.0 and the DHCP range went from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.2-192.168.2.254, but don’t quite know if the router will be able to handle the additional IPs.

The only “consolidation gateway” for smart bulbs I know are Philips Hue but that gets expensive very quickly. I’m considering combining some Philips Hue and some generic smart stuff that’s Tuya compatible.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi everyone,

As I was about to purchase the CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, the dealer offered me a refurbished CCR1036-8G-2S+EMv1 for a significant discount. The v1 has 16GB RAM as compared to the new refreshed version CCR1036-8G-2S+EMv2 which has 8GB. Does someone know why the 2019 refresh has reduced RAM? Also, I’m trying to compare the CPU and cannot seem to find any info if the refresh uses a newer CPU.

Would appreciate any info about the above. Want to take advantage of the discount if the only difference is the RAM :D

psannz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:16 pm

As I was about to purchase the CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, the dealer offered me a refurbished CCR1036-8G-2S+EMv1 for a significant discount. The v1 has 16GB RAM as compared to the new refreshed version CCR1036-8G-2S+EMv2 which has 8GB. Does someone know why the 2019 refresh has reduced RAM? Also, I’m trying to compare the CPU and cannot seem to find any info if the refresh uses a newer CPU.
CPU is the same on r1 and r2. The r2 brings dual PSU, and an m.2 slot for ssd

clueluzz
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:08 am

Thanks @psannz. Looks like I’m going for the CCR1036.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:36 am

Hey guys,

I got my CCR and since it will take me a while to understand this thing (and have signed up for the training), I decided to use the Quickset to get up and running for now. However, my internet is not going past 100Mbps. On my prior ASUS router, I’m reaching 880Mbps. I went into the Interface and noticed that the Autonegotiate always falls into 100M. I've tried changing it to 1000M non-autonegotiate, and it won't catch. I've tried changing cables as well still no fish. Thoughts?

clueluzz
Topic Author

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:25 am

Hi everyone,

Solved the internet issue. Apparently it was a cable issue. Weird thing is all of my cables are Belden CAT6 but only one 3 meter generic cable was the one that got the port to connect correctly. I guess I have to be careful abt the cables from now on. Just thought I’d share in case anybody else is experiencing same problem

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:33 am

Cheap cables with copperclad aluminium wires often don't work at 1Gbps. Indeed you need to watch for that!

clueluzz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 am

Ok, now this is getting ridiculous. I've only succeeded getting the 1Gbps that one day with that one cable. Now it won't with the same cable I succeeed with. I've since bought 5 different cables varying from Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat7 and all failed to connect to modem at 1Gbps. Combination brands of Belden and other reputable ones. HELP!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:51 am

Apparently your modem and the CCR do not like eachother. It is only happening on the internet link to some ISP-provided modem, right?
I have not seen this issue with the CCRs I use. But I have seen it with an RB750Gr3.
Are you sure there has been no special configuration on the ethernet on both sides? It should just be set to AUTO, don't attempt to outsmart it.

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Which CCR? Need Advice / Recommendation  [SOLVED]

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:51 am

Try to put the wan for the modem on another port. Perhaps that port is broken.

clueluzz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:06 pm

@pe1chl - yes it is happening on the port of ISP to my CCR. I even reset the router and started settings from scratch. Even then, while it’s trying to detect the port, it still locks to 100Mbps.

And based on @LSan83’s suggestion, I tested every port with all the variety of cables I have and found combo port, as well as ethernet 1 and 2 are all only catching at 100Mbps. Looks like I have to get a replacement unit

clueluzz
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Got my replacement CCR unit. Now flying 😁

Thank you all for being so helpful.