Community discussions

MikroTik App

andryan
Topic Author

RBM22/RBM21 with switchable dual SIM for IoT/M2M failover use cases

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Hey,

I have been looking at an ideal router device for IoT/M2M use cases where Internet connectivity needs high availability (dual-sim single-standby, rather than dual-sim dual-standby). I can't seem to find a sub-$100 device that fulfills this criteria. Ideally the RouterBOARD would have 2 FE/GE ports (when wired WAN is needed), GE is not necessary because the bandwidth usage would be low. Must have switchable dual sim slots. 1-2 miniPCIe slots for 1 LTE modem and 1 WLAN. If it comes with only 1 miniPCIe, I would expect the basic LTE support is built into the RBM. Or alternatively in 2-miniPCIe configuration, the 2nd miniPCIe could be another LTE modem and utilize the 2nd sim slot for dual-sim dual-standby use case. As for the miniPCIe module, a lower spec of R11e-LTE with basic 4G/LTE with 3G and 2G support would be nice, since there is no need for high speed LTE (even cat 4 is overkill).

LtAP mini LTE kit is the closest thing to this use case, but at $129 it's quite expensive.

Would anyone find this useful in their IoT deployments where connection reliability is paramount? I went to Chinese OEM router suppliers and they quoted me about the same as the LtAP mini LTE kit with no RouterOS-like capabilities.

Cheers,
Andryan