Community discussions

MikroTik App

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik LTE Hardware .. it's a pain

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am

Hi guys, i just want to share our expirience with MT LTE Hardware ...

I used to have a HAP + Huawei USB LTE Stick (E3372) and two IPsec tunnels ... as the HAP has no hardware-encryption, the throuhput was limited to about 10 Mbps.

I then bought a WAP R ac LTE6-Kit to replace the setup (which is in my Motorhome) .. i replaced it 1:1 and the LTE Conenction over the R11e-LTE6 is just a big pain ... Most of the time the LTE6 decides to use 3G (HSPA+) and the IPsec/L2TP Connections are dropping every 2-5 Minutes (keepalive timeouts). The Huawei stick has 3 of 5 bars and is connected via LTE and absolutely stable.

If i set the LTE6 to LTE-only it sometimes does not connect at all, then it connects and so on. It is very unreliable and unstable. I thought that the bigger antennas in the WAP would bring a benefit compared to the small LTE USB Stick .. but no.. it's just big pain .. as there is not much i can misconfigure i think that the Hardware is not very good. I talked to some other people who have the same expirience ... i am now very frustrated and contacted MT support ... lets see what they say.

Kind regards ..
Joerg

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik LTE Hardware .. it's a pain

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am

Please be technical.

E3272 and E3372 can have original firmware with hi.link or standard modem mode. And the modded firmware who show you more information from current connection and give possibility to work with specific technology 3g/4g or with specific band.
mspaint_qARD9Q1oaN.png
You should choose the modem with the same bands like e3372/e3372 and I hope this are the same and more in r11e-lte6.
Maybe you are before connected to LTE band's B20 or B8 who have good signal propagation but are not speed one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:28 am

I use the E3372 with hi.link .. and it just works. To be honest: I don't want to care much about different settings and other things. I expect it work on the fly without manipulating things too much. Setting it to LTE-only or 3G-only might be ok (as LTE networks are often overloaded and 3G works better) but thats all i want to set.

Where i tested it, for LTE there is only Band20 available .. so both (R11e-LTE6 and the Huawei stick) must use the same... but with the MT LTE6 it's bad, with the Huawei stick it works great...

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:00 pm

The Huawei stick may get shipped pre-loaded with MNO prefered specific settings, then of course it works better.

brainy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:59 pm

The Huawei stick may get shipped pre-loaded with MNO prefered specific settings, then of course it works better.
Not in this case. Mine was bought at Amazon .. so no MNO-specific things

lmaldonadoMicroTik65
just joined

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 pm

I have two Audience LTE6 Kit units that I thought would be the BOMB...but they have been more like duds. I purchased a Peplink unit and has come right up out of the box and are working reliably with T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon Cards used independently...VZW worked the best and I matched the correct Bands.

Can anyone help as to if these LTE6 Audience Kit units are worth the $250 units that I paid for them.....I tried to e-mail Mikrotik supprort and they act like a carrier...asking if I have the SIM card in and if it is connected?

I do like the form factor of the units and their many features....but if they do not connect, what good are they. I have a phone and peplink unit that connect like gangbusters! I have checked the frequency bands and spent three days trying everything I know how on winbox changing the settings and defaulting these unis and rebooting them....can anyone help before I send these back...I am very disappointed but like to assume that I am the one that is missing something here...because otherwise these units are just "bricks" and are going back.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:37 am

can anyone help before I send these back...I am very disappointed but like to assume that I am the one that is missing something here...because otherwise these units are just "bricks" and are going back.
you don't need (actually you can't) set what bands shall be supported. you may control the radio standard (2G,3G,4G) but the default settings are just fine.
make sure your sim cards are inserted correctly. i lost 20 mins of my life troubleshooting a wAP LTE and at the end i felt like a moron when i noticed inserted the sim upside down.
the only thing you might need to set is the name of the APN and the PIN of the SIM card. i usually disable PIN on the SIM cards using a mobile phone before i install them into the router.
if you remove/insert the card, make sure you disable/enable the LTE interface afterwards.

you can check the status of the LTE interface with this command on the CLI:
/interface lte info [find]
you will see, if the thing got stuck at a point (like SIM PIN mismatch, or no SIM detected).

the APN name is 'internet' by default, you can set it to anything else your carrier requires. though the device also supports user/pass authentication, i never actually seen any operator using this feature for internet access.

the device will get an ipv4 address and set up a default route towards the cellular network once connected. the default configuration has the necessary NAT rules, so you're good to go.

if you want to use IPv6 _and_ your carrier supports it, enable the ipv6 package and reboot the device. then you can set up the LTE part to support IPv6 as well at the APN settings. assuming you are using the default APN entry, the necessary config is:
/interface lte set 0 ip-type=ipv4-ipv6 ipv6-interface=bridge 
mobile operators usually don't do DHCPv6 PD, but only supply a /64 to the UE, so the interface you specify as ipv6-interface will be the one that gets the /64 automatically assigned.