Community discussions

MikroTik App

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

No LTE interface when router tethered to Android phone

Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I've got a new Moto G Power running android 10. When I tether it by USB to my RB951ui-2HnD no LTE interface is created. The only sign of the tethering in the router is in System-Resouces-USB where it is listed. This phone replaced a Moto G 6 which had no problem being tethered and creating an LTE interface.

The router is running v6.46.6. I've tested with several other routers (hAPac, hAPacLite & hAP ac2) and all failed to create an LTE interface. The phone has no problem when tethered to any of my computers.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get the router to create the LTE1 interface.

mada3k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: No LTE interface when router tethered to Android phone

Thu May 07, 2020 8:19 pm

A tethered Phone is not a LTE interface.

Is most often a USB CDC/EEM/NCM or smilar, and the compability will vary.
Manages some CCR's, RB750Gr3, RB922 and wAP's

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 pm

In my past experience with tethering phones to a Microtik router via the USB port the router will automatically create a new interface called LTE1. It will also create a new DHCP client on LTE1. Then the only thing left to do is to add a Firewall NAT entry for the new interface.

Without the LTE interface I don't know how to proceed. The Mikrotik peripheral compatibility page indicates that Android tethering has been available since routerOS v6.7. Is anyone able to tether their Android v10 phone? Does anyone else have a Moto G Power phone that they have tried to tether?

SiB
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 15, 2020 12:14 am

Latest ROS
port firmware set ignore-directip-modem=no
system reboot

and the lte1 should be show. Of course the dhcp-client should grab addressation.
SomeTimes I do scripts who do every 10s the release until IP will be get from "Android phone"

I hope that help you.
Good Luck!
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
I will be at MUMEUROPE Prague on ?? ?? 202?