Community discussions

MikroTik App

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

No LTE interface when router tethered to Android phone

Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I've got a new Moto G Power running android 10. When I tether it by USB to my RB951ui-2HnD no LTE interface is created. The only sign of the tethering in the router is in System-Resouces-USB where it is listed. This phone replaced a Moto G 6 which had no problem being tethered and creating an LTE interface.

The router is running v6.46.6. I've tested with several other routers (hAPac, hAPacLite & hAP ac2) and all failed to create an LTE interface. The phone has no problem when tethered to any of my computers.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get the router to create the LTE1 interface.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: No LTE interface when router tethered to Android phone

Thu May 07, 2020 8:19 pm

A tethered Phone is not a LTE interface.

Is most often a USB CDC/EEM/NCM or smilar, and the compability will vary.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 pm

In my past experience with tethering phones to a Microtik router via the USB port the router will automatically create a new interface called LTE1. It will also create a new DHCP client on LTE1. Then the only thing left to do is to add a Firewall NAT entry for the new interface.

Without the LTE interface I don't know how to proceed. The Mikrotik peripheral compatibility page indicates that Android tethering has been available since routerOS v6.7. Is anyone able to tether their Android v10 phone? Does anyone else have a Moto G Power phone that they have tried to tether?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 15, 2020 12:14 am

Latest ROS
port firmware set ignore-directip-modem=no
system reboot

and the lte1 should be show. Of course the dhcp-client should grab addressation.
SomeTimes I do scripts who do every 10s the release until IP will be get from "Android phone"

I hope that help you.
Good Luck!

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 pm

@SiB - I apologize for missing your response to my post. I just got back to working on this problem and found your response through Google. I've given it a try using an RB951ui-2HnD with v6.48. I could not get an lte interface but I have found a way to get the router to create lte1 and perhaps you can make sense of what might be going on.

I have 3 old 3g USB modems; a Zoom 4598, a Sierra Wireless USB308 and a ZTE 190s. I thought I would put them on the router and see if they created a ppp client in Interfaces. With 6.48 on the router I found that the USB308 and the ZTE created a disabled ppp client and the Zoom would not create a client but was recognized at being in the USB port. I plugged my phone in the USB port after each USB modem and could not get an LTE interface.

Next I loaded v7.4beta on the router and repeated the process with the USB modems. This time all 3 modems created a ppp client and I found that after plugging in the Zoom I got an LTE interface when I plugged my phone in. If I then added lte1 in the interface list as a WAN member I could get online. Between each modem test I had reset the configuration to factory defaults .
Once the Zoom created the PPP client I could delete the ppp client from the interface list and still unplug and plug the phone in and get an LTE interface but if I rebooted the router it lost the ability to create an LTE interface until I plugged in the Zoom modem.

The Zoom modem seems to change some setting that permits the routerOS to recognize the tethered phone as an LTE device. Without the Zoom the phone shows up in Systems>Resources>USB but is is not seen as an LTE interface. After plugging and unplugging the Zoom the phone will be seen as an LTE device. The phone continues to be able to work with the router until the router is rebooted or powered down.

Any thoughts you may have on how I can get the phone recognized without having to carry the Zoom modem with me would be appreciated.

I have filed a bug report on the phone with Motorola-Lenovo Support but I haven't had any response other than they are working on it. There have been several other users of the same phone reporting the same problem when trying to tether the phone to their Asus RT/AC-68U and ASUS RT-N66R. No results other than support saying they are working on it.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:23 am

w32pamela
The Zoom modem seems to change some setting that permits the routerOS to recognize the tethered phone as an LTE device. Without the Zoom the phone shows up in Systems>Resources>USB but is is not seen as an LTE interface. After plugging and unplugging the Zoom the phone will be seen as an LTE device. The phone continues to be able to work with the router until the router is rebooted or powered down.

Any thoughts you may have on how I can get the phone recognized without having to carry the Zoom modem with me would be appreciated.

I have filed a bug report on the phone with Motorola-Lenovo Support but I haven't had any response other than they are working on it. There have been several other users of the same phone reporting the same problem when trying to tether the phone to their Asus RT/AC-68U and ASUS RT-N66R. No results other than support saying they are working on it.
I hope you create a suppout file after inserted Zoom device, second supout after Android and support can compare both and found a "what zoom device fix".
Try send a message every week to support if they not answer :)

This is not what we at forum can solve. We can help with that device what we know.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 pm

SiB - Thank you for the response. I will do as you suggest and send the 2 supout files to support.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm

I did not get around to sending the supouts to support but I upgraded from v7.1beta4 to beta5 and now my Moto G power phone is recognized and the router creates an LTE1 interface.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Congratulation, and sorry that MikroTik not support well the support for ROS6 now.