Community discussions

MikroTik App

justicebo1993
just joined
Topic Author

What is your opinion of Mikrotik routers?

Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Hello everyone,,
worked with (though easy to use, they are often not).

Are there products that route better? sure. There are also things that do better QoS. Some products are more stable, and others easier to use. There is always someone that does something better. Mikrotik's advantage is it does a wide variety of things well, and it does it at a very low comparative cost.
click speed test kohi click test
The down side is that low price comes at the cost of official support and sometimes stability of new ROS releases. If you need complete vendor support without a contractor or aren't comfortable working through community forums and wikis, they might not be the right fit for you.

With all that said, for the price point, I still love Mikrotik. I run one at home. I use them for Bandwidth Shaping at work. One lives in my tech bag to help with on-site troubleshooting. They are great little devices
Last edited by justicebo1993 on Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is your opinion of Mikrotik routers?

Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 pm

The good:

Many models to choose.
Works with more technologies that the competition.
The software, I love it, because is extremely flexible. On mayor of cases, the hardware is the only limitation.
Support is good and you have this add-on (the community).
RouterOS runs on x86 platforms natively.
You can find a lot of material on Internet about Mikrotik.
Cheap prices in comparison with others.

The bad:

The cup of hardware failure is the mayor that I know. (In my case: a dead RB450G [it stop working after few minutes of boot], a BaseBox 2 [Sometimes after reboot, the device don't boot. The nand memory was with bad sectors. After ROS 6.35 never see the problem again], a RBM33G [not recognizes the second LTE interface. Solved by removing a jumper from the board] a cAP ac [Stopped working. I can't check it at the moment] and a LtAP LTE kit [SIM port 2 apparently dead. It is on technical service]).
Software problems. (In my case: mANTBox 15s with wrong license level, solved thanks to official Mikrotik support, RB1100AHx4 with problems with DHCP, solved by changing 8 switches to Cisco Small Business from other brands, with Pfsense this not happens, LtAP LTE kit not recognizes the second LTE card, solved by entering a command on terminal).
I want more passive antenna models for outdoors for all technologies, with mayor priority on 2,4 and 5Ghz and celular antennas (all MIMO 2x2).
I want a integrated IDS/IPS on RouterOS. A lot of people is changing from Mikrotik to Fortinet only for this reason. It's really sad.

I recommend Mikrotik, YES.

Regards.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 pm

+ Very wide feature-set. Extremely flexible devices. Wipes the floor with segment competitors in pure routing/mpls-features.
+ Many model to choose from.
+ Great CLI, tools and scripting!
+ DC-input and often wide on some models
+ Lightweight and usable Web-interface
+ Often very useful interface-mix
+ We have had good experience from the support

- Sometimes focus seem to be shifting to more Home & Consumer
- Very strange interface-mix sometimes.
- Build quality could be better for more expensive models.
- Sometimes to many models.
- Firewall, user, management, audit-handling and other parts could be more "Enterprise"
- Wireless performance is not up to par with segment competitors.
- Some features seems to have "stalled" in development.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 14, 2020 12:06 am

I like how they use just enough power to accomplish the goal. I didn't want big beefy hardware, unless I needed it. Take the RB4011 for example, handles 1G fiber service just fine on small networks.