Topic Author

new hardware Wireless Wire nRAY 60 ghz

Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm

krafg

Re: new hardware Wireless Wire nRAY 60 ghz

Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 am

Looks great!

Regards.
If you want to know my network, you can find it here.

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 22, 2020 5:17 pm

I saw this link this morning for it: https://mt.lv/WWnRAY

I'm excited about the complete assembly and aiming mount.

It appears to be an attractive size, but seems long. Most of our situations where we install these will be on the sides of buildings, so the larger the distance from the wall, the more significant the installation appears.

It seems to me the configuration as shown will be just fine much of the time, other times I will be wanting to get it closer to a wall. This could possibly be achieved with 2x design changes:
  • Possibly a sideways or alternative cable exit can allow the back of the radio closer to a wall
  • A mount that can be oriented longitudinally instead of axially

I do have some potential concerns about function:

How are these screws accessed for aiming (It appears the gland seal is blocking access)?
Annotation 2020-05-22 100705.png
It seems there could be an additional hole to allow rotating the mount and reducing the front-to-back dimension. It appears this would have more clearance for those screws from the previous question. Any thoughts?
Annotation 2020-05-22 101038.png
Thank you, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eworm
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Interesting device...

Also nice to see that more devices are equipped with ARM 64bit CPUs (just like new CCR).
Manage RouterOS scripts and extend your devices' functionality: RouterOS Scripts

RogerWilco

Mon May 25, 2020 11:52 pm

It'd also be nice to see the LHG 2 in this design as well as the LHG LTE (with a better antenna for low gain).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am

uberdome, the ethernet protection gland should not be plugged in yet, it can be on the cable, while you do the adjustment. After done, just slide it forward and screw it on
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 pm

nice update but a 5 Ghz Interface is still missing why?

raceboy

Tue May 26, 2020 5:56 pm

estimate price?

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Channels? Channel Size? TX Power? Wireless Chipset?

dnyl
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 31, 2020 5:37 pm

I saw this link this morning for it: https://mt.lv/WWnRAY

I'm excited about the complete assembly and aiming mount.

It appears to be an attractive size, but seems long. Most of our situations where we install these will be on the sides of buildings, so the larger the distance from the wall, the more significant the installation appears.

It seems to me the configuration as shown will be just fine much of the time, other times I will be wanting to get it closer to a wall. This could possibly be achieved with 2x design changes:
  • Possibly a sideways or alternative cable exit can allow the back of the radio closer to a wall
  • A mount that can be oriented longitudinally instead of axially

I do have some potential concerns about function:

How are these screws accessed for aiming (It appears the gland seal is blocking access)?
Annotation 2020-05-22 100705.png

It seems there could be an additional hole to allow rotating the mount and reducing the front-to-back dimension. It appears this would have more clearance for those screws from the previous question. Any thoughts?
Annotation 2020-05-22 101038.png

Thank you, Chris
Dear Mikrotik!

Please modify the ethernet cable place. You do the same mistake, when you did with the grooves. If the device on a high tower and looks down, the water goes into the device. Please modify the connector down by 45° or 90°.

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:40 pm

nice update but a 5 Ghz Interface is still missing why?
I've debated about this for a while, and originally avoided MikroTik 60 GHz because of it for 6+ months.

Adding 5 GHz failover to 60 GHz just "increases" the range of the 60 GHz hardware. The problem is - if you didn't have the 5 GHz spectrum available in the first place, then you will be operating at limited speeds during failover. As a result, you aren't actually increasing the effective range of the hardware, you are using it in a circumstance where it can't meet bandwidth requirements and uptime requirements. And, if you have the 5 GHz spectrum at the longer ranges, it probably makes sense to just use 5 GHz instead of a mix.

I think it makes more sense to use 60 GHz within the tested limitations instead of using 5 GHz failover to try to buy more range. If you need more range, it is probably more reliable to add hops or switch to a band that already supports it.

[All that said, I think most microPoPs can be supported with 60 GHz for LOS and 5 GHz for short NLOS links. I would not be opposed to an AP that did both and could have mixed clients or have clients that could do either.]

marekm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:18 pm

Adding 5 GHz failover to 60 GHz just "increases" the range of the 60 GHz hardware. The problem is - if you didn't have the 5 GHz spectrum available in the first place, then you will be operating at limited speeds during failover. As a result, you aren't actually increasing the effective range of the hardware, you are using it in a circumstance where it can't meet bandwidth requirements and uptime requirements. And, if you have the 5 GHz spectrum at the longer ranges, it probably makes sense to just use 5 GHz instead of a mix.
Sometimes the bandwidth and uptime requirements can be flexible. For a few hours or days of bad weather in a year, it can make a big difference - slow service / no service at all.
Having the backup integrated in the same device could also have an advantage where the backup could be enabled automagically only when needed (when 60GHz station interface is connected, disable the 5GHz interface) so both can be put in a bridge without causing a loop (and without using any easy to misconfigure protocols like RSTP or OSPF).

server8
Topic Author

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:47 pm

ETA?

zdiv
just joined

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:50 pm

Technical specifications are still absent.
Block Diagram, chipset, tx/rx specs, antenna gain, etc...
Those are really needed, not just nice to have.

something
just joined

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Is this still 802.11ad based, or is it 11ay? Would be nice to know what the frequency range is too...

r00t

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:30 pm

It's still 802.11ad, compatible with all other 60GHz products. Same frequency range. For $298.00.

karina

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:18 pm

uberdome, the ethernet protection gland should not be plugged in yet, it can be on the cable, while you do the adjustment. After done, just slide it forward and screw it on
Im amazed you had to explain that lol