Community discussions

MikroTik App

citizen25
just joined
Topic Author

Can Dual LTE Modems be used in Active Active Configuration?

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Can Dual LTE Modems be used in Active Active Configuration? I see RBM33G supports two modems and two sim cards but every time I have worked with a MikroTik it only allows one sim at a time? is it possible to say LTE modem 0 use Sim Down and LTE modem 1 use Sim UP? https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dual_SIM_Application shows some good real world uses but only in a fail over or roaming configuration not allowing for an ACTIVE ACTIVE configuration.

If possible desired setup Dual WAN LTE and LTE (Active -ACTIVE) having them load balance each other. They would be aimed at different Cell towers with different carriers two allow for the home network of both towers.

I understand this may need a lot of scripting but since the LTE modem configurations do not allow choosing of which sim making this a global setting instead of a port setting how is what I said achieved.

(if both LTE modems can read same SIM card (No carrier i know supports this) carrier 1 allows roaming on tower 2 (they own tower 1))

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can Dual LTE Modems be used in Active Active Configuration?

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:30 pm

Is possible.

On last (not published) version of ROS 6 was solved an issue that makes that R11e-LTE-US not runs with R11e-LTE (International).

Both interfaces I get running on RBM33G and LtAP (not mini).

In addition you can configure Failover or Load Balancing or both.

For now, you can try this while next beta is published or next stable version with it fixed.

Regards.

citizen25
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 pm

So soon will be possible with no scripting 1-4 months. (Via update cited above) Or wait tell 7.x 1-10 years. Not in the time frame I was hopping but can be done. I had forgotten about LtAP but client will probably stay with other board to be able to use external Antennas other wise it would be perfect.

Thank you for confirmation that this is possible as long term I will have no choice but to set this up.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:13 am

I use my LtAP with external antennas (2x L-COM HG72710XP-065).

Regards.

anicedoll123
just joined

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:49 pm

I use my LtAP with external antennas (2x L-COM HG72710XP-065).

Regards.
Hi krafg. Can you give me your contact? Thank you

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Spas
just joined

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi @Krafg,
I would like to set up something similar. We do not have cable internet provider in our street but have to work/learn from home now days. So I bought an Ltap (not mini) with two LTE6 modem in it. I think I'm ok with the hardware part - both of my LTE connections are running. Unfortunately am not a network engineer - I tought it will be easier i have no idea about the load balancing... is there any step-by step guides for dummies? :)
I try to read and watch all the recommended topics and videos (e.g. bandwith based LB) but still feel this topic far from me and hope you have any suggestions...