Community discussions

MikroTik App

michaeln
just joined
Topic Author

netmetal ac2 wifi antenna / mounts extension cable?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:49 am

I would like to ask for a quick answer re: netmetal ac2 WiFi antenna mounts. It has a removable top cover, under which there are two CH0 and CH1 mount connectors plus two LTE antenna mount connectors for the R11 LTE modem. Is it safe to just screw-on the 2x HGO-antenna-OUT antennas and mount it outside just like that without the top cover attached? Is it also weatherproof this way ? Or is it safer to use extension cables and put the top cover in place? What cables would I need?

I've been considering the cable RP-SMA(M) – RP-SMA(F), but not sure if it is suitable for this purpose.

Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: netmetal ac2 wifi antenna / mounts extension cable?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 am

I guess it is meant to operate unit with top cover attached, I expect IP rating is not the same without the cover. So you'd need to use adapter cables (similar to what you posted), drill holes in the top cover at the planned positions (AUX0 and AUX1) and screw cable to it ... making it sturdy enough to attach potentially less flexible antenna feeder cables. Make sure you use appropriate sealing material when attaching adapter cables to cover not to let water/dust enter through newly drilled holes.
BR,
Metod

michaeln
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Hello, thanks for your reply. Well, there are contradicting images and information:

I have these antennas, which have I been recommended by Mikrotik sales. Apparently they are meant as a screw-on:

I specifically asked about outdoor use, so I don't think these are indoor use only antennas. Of course I may be wrong.

On the other side, I too think the top cover should be attached. Also, no holes need to be drilled in the cover as it has "vents" for cable output:

Not sure if the extension cables would be bendable enough though.

Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:59 pm

I guess the cables on the photograph (or is it CGI render?) have angle connectors, this way cable comes from right angle to the connector.
BR,
Metod

krafg

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:53 am

For antenna, any that works with 2,4 and 5 Ghz at same time.

Altelix have some alternatives: https://altelix.com/antennas/2-4-5-ghz-antennas/

The cable, any that works until 6Ghz. It depends of you antenna choose.
If you choose is N connector on the antenna, use TP-Link ANT200PT. Works well.
If you choose is RP-SMA on the antenna, use MikroTik ACRPSMA (Flex-guide).

Regards.
If you want to know my network, you can find it here.

michaeln
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 am

Thank you very much.

TL-ANT200PT is EOL and I can't get it anywhere ;-(

For the moment I have the

HGO-antenna-OUT
https://mikrotik.com/product/hgo_antenna_out

which does have RP-SMA F connectors. The netmetal CH0 and CH1 are M connectors, so I'm not sure I can use ACRPSMA flex cable.

krafg

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:42 pm

HGO antenna OUT is to attach directly to this NetMetal. You can't use Flex-guide cable for these little antennas. Pigtails are designed for big outdoor antennas (Mikrotik dish, UBNT, Altelix, L-COM, Jirous, Radiowaves, etc.).

Regards.

michaeln
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Thank you, for your informative answers.

Then I don't understand logic behind netmetal+HGO, considering the fact HGO antenna is marketed as direct-attach outdoor antenna, and then you need to remove the top lid from netmetal to screw it on, thus lowering its weatherproof resistance. I am in talks with Mikrotik support about this, and they recommend using self amalgamating tape on the connectors and then it "should" be 100% weatherproof.

Ratatouille
just joined

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 am

I'm in a similar dilemma finding a capable outdoor Wi-Fi AP and fearful of the potential waterproofing damage long-term from having the top cover off a Netmetal or a Basebox to mount antennas. It may be simpler to consider the wAP R ac based LTE/4G access points for your outdoor application (this is your other earlier post asking for recommendations for "a weatherproof outdoor unit solution" viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162273 ). You mentioned in your subsequent response in that post that the Mikrotik sales team recommended a "wAP ac LTE kit should be able to cover 500m2 if placed in center".

The specs of the wAP R ac don't seem too different from the NetMetal ac²: IPQ-4018 128MB RAM POE out port for wAP R ac vs. IPQ-4019 256MB RAM and SFP port, as a well as a USB port if you need one. See the comparison – the wAP R ac seems to be really just a cAP ac in a wAP-type outdoor enclosure: https://mikrotik.com/products/compare/R ... acD2HnD-NM

Moreover, you don't have to install a separate LTE/4G card and worry about getting the pigtails out to the top cover of the NetMetal ac². You'd have a lower Wi-Fi antenna gain with the wAP R ac, though—2dBi 2.4Ghz and 2.5dBi for the wAP R ac integrated antennas vs 3.3dBi 2.4 GHz and 5.5-7.1dBi 5 GHz for the HGO-antenna-OUT you'd use on the NetMetal ac². Taking into account the small loss on the internal pigtails, I'm not sure it would make much of a difference for 2.4Ghz. In any case, Given the nature of Wi-Fi coverage for smart phones, you may want to have a number of the wAP R ac APs spaced out in the area for your event rather than having just one or two NetMetal ac² with HGO-antenna-OUT antennas.

Would anyone be kind to share experience from having the wAP-type enclosure outdoors, say on a pole, for a long time – are there any serious waterproofing issues?

krafg

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:27 am

Thank you, for your informative answers.

Then I don't understand logic behind netmetal+HGO, considering the fact HGO antenna is marketed as direct-attach outdoor antenna, and then you need to remove the top lid from netmetal to screw it on, thus lowering its weatherproof resistance. I am in talks with Mikrotik support about this, and they recommend using self amalgamating tape on the connectors and then it "should" be 100% weatherproof.
I used 2x BaseBox outside for 2+ years without top cover and never had problems with waterproof, BUT, in the connectors I have a "rubber cover" from UBNT.

As replacement you can use waterproof tape and insulation tape to cover the connectors.

Regards.