Community discussions

MikroTik App

sysf
just joined
Topic Author

Groove lightning protection

Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:33 pm

I intend to use a GrooveA 52 ac mounted on the side of a caravan to pick up guest WiFi and access it inside over a wired connection. A hAP AC will be used inside, with the Groove receiving power via POE from the hAP AC. Since the Groove will be the highest outside point of the caravan, what precautions do I need to take against lightning strikes? The only information I can find about this online is that a shielded cable should be used with the Groove, but I believe this requires special hardware on the other end to provide any protection.

Apologies as I am not very knowledgeable in outdoor wireless or electricity.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Groove lightning protection

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:20 am

Shielded cable is only to combat against air noise/interference. You need RBGESP and it needs to be connected to your electrical ground.

Now be careful with RBGESP because is not waterproof.

Evidence: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=160612

Regards.

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Groove lightning protection

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:20 am

Having managed a few massive satellite ground stations in my time, 2 things usually happen.

1 is the lightning rods on the top of the satellite dish which is directly cabled to ground safely takes the hit. Lightning arresters installed after waveguide->LNA/LNBs->Coax go open circuit(blow the fuse), and you RX no more..(and you hope the $$$$$ SSPA(power amplifier) mounted on the side of the dish just takes the pain and keeps working.

2. Your equipment get fried just because its lightning and you carry spares on site.

In the case if a Groove or pretty much anything in the air with a cable for general wifi access, there is always a risk( I will say very very low statistically speaking) of lightning damage.