Community discussions

MikroTik App

Talthos
just joined
Topic Author

Need help picking a MikroTik product for AP setup

Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Currently using a MikroTik RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD router, with an ISP-supplied cable modem that grants Internet access (courtesy of Shaw Communications).

I need more WiFi coverage for the house, so I'm hoping some folks here can chime in and recommend a MikroTik device that would pair well with the 4011 as a wireless access point.

And just to be 100% clear, this is the path I want for wireless client traffic (the AP and the 4011 router will be connected to each other via Ethernet cable):

Wireless client -----> AP -----> 4011 router -----> ISP cable modem

I need something that can provide both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz to at least 6 "heavy user" wireless clients, without choking.

Any suggestions? If more info is needed, let me know; I'm still rather new to this.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Need help picking a MikroTik product for AP setup

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:57 pm

I have a wAP AC. Works great.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:08 pm

Have both wAP ac and cAP ac, love them. The wAP ac has 3x3 MU-MIMO while the cAP ac has 2x2 MU-MIMO (on the 5GHz radio). Most clients support 2x2 MU-MIMO, but if it supports 3x3 MU-MIMO it will perform better.

mbovenka

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:10 pm

The hAP AC works well too, if you want a few wired Gbit ports to go with the wireless.

Talthos
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 am

The hAP AC works well too, if you want a few wired Gbit ports to go with the wireless.
The hAP AC is close to what I'm looking for; is there another just like it, except with 5 GHz capabilities as well?

Edit: Disregard the above text; I was looking at the wrong product, whoops!

How does the hAP AC compare to the hAP AC2 ?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Rbd52g works nicely too.

mbovenka

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:10 pm

How does the hAP AC compare to the hAP AC2 ?

Better WiFi, slower CPU. So if you want it as an AP/basic wired switch, the AC is the better choice, if you want to use it as a router with integrated (somewhat less capable) WiFi and switch the AC2 is better. In your case, the hAP ac is probably the one to go for, as it is the more capable AP.

Talthos
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Okay, so I picked the hAP AC, and it just arrived.

I have a vague understanding of how I'd go about setting it up, but I could use some help with a few particular details:

- I want to be able to "see" both the 4011 and the hAP AC (and all connected clients) via the main 4011 Winbox panel (so I don't need to constantly log back and forth between them). Would I need to set up a VLAN to accomplish this?

- Assuming the above is possible, how would I go about avoiding double NAT problems?

- The 4011 is currently set to use DHCP, with IP reservations for most of the "permanent" clients. Will this cause problems for the aforementioned details?