Community discussions

MikroTik App

This feature should be included in future releases of ROS?

Yes, Absolutely
32 (100%)
No, is not needed
No votes

Total votes: 32

CarlitoxxPro
Topic Author

REQUEST: Support i2c SFP/SFP+ Secuential SingleByte Reads to obtain transceiver details from EEPROM

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:16 am

Could be very useful to include the feature to make that the Mikrotik Routers/Swithches with SFP/SFP+ ports be able to do sequential Single-Byte reads to obtain the transceiver specs and ddm from the EEPROM tables A0h/A2h for transceivers like GPON ONU SFP and others than only supports Single-Byte Reads and not multi-bytes reads (255 Bytes read per call).

Some of this transceivers doesn't have connected the two-wire interface SFP pins directly to the EEPROM, They have connected the 2-wire interface to a slave i2c interface of the SoC and then the SoC have a master i2c connection to the EEPROM.

in other cases the transceiver doesn't have a physically EEPROM and use a virtualized EEPROM allocated on the SPI Flash chip that comes available after the embedded OS is booted.

Implementing the detection of the EEPROM reads to switch automatically between Single-Byte and Multi-Byte reads should not so complex and will gives a plus in the interoperability between the different brands and models of SFP Transceivers apart of to make complies the SFF-8431

for manufacturers as we, would be a very good feature to be added, having in mind that we recommend the Mikrotik hardware to the most of our customers for the wide capabilities and stability of the hardware.

did you have included in the development pipeline this feature?, if not, what do you think? could be included?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Facebook: fb.me.com/CarlitoxxPro
Twitter: @CarlitoxxPro
Telegram: t.me/CarlitoxxPro
Email: contacto [at] carlitoxxpro.com

gastonet
just joined

Re: REQUEST: Support i2c SFP/SFP+ Secuential SingleByte Reads to obtain transceiver details from EEPROM

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:20 am

+1 I agree

r00t

Re: REQUEST: Support i2c SFP/SFP+ Secuential SingleByte Reads to obtain transceiver details from EEPROM

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:17 pm

This could be very useful to pull custom data from SFPs. It's clear Mikrotik can't just add support for statistics that every SFP on the market provides, so it's important to have a generic way of access. Memory dump is one way, but it's not script/automation friendly. Read command would be much better.

I would also like to see SNMP support SFP EEPROM reads over OID where last number of OID is the read address. This way you could query SFP bytes over SNMP easily for graphing and statistics.

diablonet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:30 am

yes, please mikrotik, that will help!

valemal
just joined

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:29 pm

I agree please mikrotik

Gnubyte
just joined

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:25 pm

+1 - Keep compliant as far as possible.

Florian
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Please Mikrotik : /
- Sorry for my english -

jcguevarap
just joined

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:52 pm

I agree, please mikrotik, as far as possible.