Community discussions

MikroTik App

dmn44
just joined
Topic Author

CAPSMAN Manager For Medium to Big deployment

Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:00 pm

I have a installation to do for one of my clients for in excess of wireless 30 caps.

Currently for the deployment I have purchased the following:
32x cAP ac's (https://mikrotik.com/product/cap_ac)

CONNECTED TO / POWERED BY:
4x netPower 16P (https://mikrotik.com/product/netpower_16p), Still deciding on 24v or 48v POE.

CONNECTED WITH:
4x SFP+ Modules / Fibre cables running to a central location. (The Server Room)

At this location, I need to connect the 4 x 10gbit links (From the netPower's), another 10gbit link (From the existing network infrastructure) and an internet connection (RJ45) to a Mikrotik device that I am yet to identify / decide on / purchase.
My current thoughts are to use a CRS326-24S+2Q+RM (https://mikrotik.com/product/crs326_24s_2q_rm]) in RouterOS mode, however I am not sure if this would cope with CapsMan management of 32-40 caps and the 1gbps RJ45 internet connection.m

Any thoughts and advice or suggestions (of other hardware) on the above would be greatly appreciated.

karlisi

Re: CAPSMAN Manager For Medium to Big deployment

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:20 am

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:54 am

I have deployed similar medium sized systems using RB4011 and CRS328's. The RB4011 is connected by SFP+ and handles all the CAPSMAN traffic in non-local-forward mode. The benefit of this is all the radios are ports on one common bridge inside the RB4011. One of the ethernet ports is connected to the WAN so the RB4011 handles some bridge-filtering and simple-queues as well.

The suggestion here of using a CCR2004 with the switches you have chosen is much the same with different hardware and the CPU is similar to the RB4011. Make sure all the CAPSMAN traffic and Winbox type management traffic is handled on a separate VLANs so the clients can't sniff what's going on.

karlisi

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:44 am

I have deployed similar medium sized systems using RB4011 and CRS328's. The RB4011 is connected by SFP+ and handles all the CAPSMAN traffic in non-local-forward mode. The benefit of this is all the radios are ports on one common bridge inside the RB4011. One of the ethernet ports is connected to the WAN so the RB4011 handles some bridge-filtering and simple-queues as well.

The suggestion here of using a CCR2004 with the switches you have chosen is much the same with different hardware and the CPU is similar to the RB4011. Make sure all the CAPSMAN traffic and Winbox type management traffic is handled on a separate VLANs so the clients can't sniff what's going on.
You can't connect 4 SFP+ modules to RB4011, that's the difference.

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 pm

How are you powering the NetPower unit to get the appropriate PoE power package? Dual 96watt power bricks?

Is the CCR acting as the core router and CapsManager? Or CCR solely acting as the Caps controller?